Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2016, 07:25 AM   #1
larry harding

Default bud cab still stunped

i posted a while back about a 30? 31? pickup i am restoring, i got a lot of good info from you guys and thought i was on my way until i tried assembling the cab. here is what is going on.
1. there is a 1/4" gap between the top of the windshield posts and the lower edge of the roof.
2. the holes in the visor flange are about 1/4" above the matching holes in the windshield posts.
3.the screw holes in the header are about 1/4" above the holes in the angle above the windshield area.( i notched out the angle holes trying to get things to line up)
4.the lower board in the header is 7/8" thick and the holes for the 5/16" screws are centered at about the level of the top of the bottom board.

it is as if the bottom board is 1/4" too thick, but this is supposed to be the header used on the 30/31 pickups and tudor. i even borrowed another cowl that is supposed to be for a 30/31 pickup(painted band instead of ss)... same problem with the holes in the header being above the holes in the angle. before i try to shave 1/4" off the header or put patches in the gap between the was post and roof i am hoping someone can look at there header and tell me what is wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4708.jpg (44.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4709.jpg (57.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4710.jpg (40.0 KB, 91 views)
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
gypsycandle

Default Re: bud cab still stunped

Larry: I'm not an expert by any means but last year I put together an early 30 Pick Up for a friend. I asked him to order the header for a pickup and he ordered the tudor 55 B header. There is a difference, I had all the same problems that you are finding and in addition the windshield hinge metal was too low the windshield would not close all the way
and also the top of the header was 1/4" too high causing the visor to be short to the front.
Solutions: we had to remove about 1/4" from the bottom rail, re-drill the hinge holes and shave and contour the top of the header until it matched the visor.
That brought the windshield back up clearing the gas tank and brought the visor panel back in line with the top.
Sounds to me like you have the wrong header, even though they say it fits both there are subtle differences.
If you look at Macs pictures(because they sell two different ones) it's no help because they used the same picture for both...lol
So it sounds like you are in for some "fitting". Hope that helps in some way.
Michael...
gypsycandle is offline   Reply With Quote