Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
37 Coupe

Default Model A Fords on American Pickers.

A new episode the other night on American Pickers featured a great Model A collection in New York state I believe.I know a lot of people do not like the show or Mike and Frank but just wondering if anyone else was taken back by Mike's remarks on the Model A being"underpowered".He also added the only way to deal with a Model A was a flathead V8 engine. Reminded me of a conversation years ago when I was still driving my '37 coupe with a 60 hp V8 and one old car buddy said to another,a Model A guy,"that engine would be great in your Model A" Model A guy said "why would I want to slow her down". I finally did change the 60 hp to a 59AB just because I needed to pull out of my driveway on a state route quicker.The horsepower in the coupe is nice and it cruises and can stay with traffic especially with the Columbia but something has always been missing for me. The fun I used to have 54 years ago chugging along on a back country road in a Model A roadster. Mike just don't get it but I do and that is why two months ago now I have another Model A and hope to get it on that same road from years ago.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Model A Fords on American Pickers.

I saw that too, I just considered the source. My view is the A was not underpowered for its price point, intended use, lower speeds, reliability, and tons of other reasons. If you wanted more power for the same benefits, you needed to spend a lot more cash. Why else would people buy 5 million of them in 4 years of production.

Looks like I got off on a tangent here, I agree it is underpowered in stock form if you need to tour at faster speeds on busy highways. But like you said, a lot of the fun is going down rural roads at a much slower pace. You notice more, are more relaxed, time to enjoy the sounds of the A, wind in you face, smells, and scenery. I think it is much like the experience of taking your time when on a motorcycle.

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 10-25-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: adding info
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
bigd1101

You buy a car to fit your expectations. Obviously Mike thinks Model A's do not fit his expectations, so you don't buy one. It's that simple really. And any conversion makes the stock ones that much scarcer.
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
WHN

A correctly sorted out Model A will move right along off the line and up to its normal cruising speed.

Not a 500 HP Mustang, but not a Model T either.

Our Sport Coupe, with just one person aboard, I think is quick up to about 35 MPH.

How quick will we be at 90 years old. A good running Model A is just plan fun. Enjoy.

Last edited by WHN; 10-25-2018 at 01:38 PM.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
Oldbluoval

I watch them some....when I'm terribly bored.

For those of you who know who they are, they remind me of a real-life Bevis and Butthead.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
daren007

Bevis and Butthead...I like that.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
Bevis and Butthead...I like that.
Same here that is a good description of those two noodle heads.

They know nothing about antique cars and what they do say comes from other people anyway. It is all scripted.

And besides, I couldn't give a crap about motorcycles and bicycles they bore me so there we're even Mike.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
37 Coupe

Well again I have always liked the show but this one just struck me wrong. I kinda left my dad in the dust or so I thought almost 46 years ago when I started with a 1946 Ford coupe,then a convertible same year then many more V8 Fords until the 1937 Ford coupe like the one he wouldn't let me buy in 1961 at age 15. I sold the '30 roadster we worked on together,well he mostly. Now working on this '31 I wonder how dad did this and that.I hope it is going to be as fun as I remember driving the '30,so far fun working on it,different.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #9
braol

I'm glad they don't rate the A highly. All the show has done is inflate the price of good old stuff by increasing the number of antique middle-men selling stuff on ebay, craigslist, etc...
braol is offline   Reply With Quote