Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #21
ford38v8

Default Re: battery disconnect switch.

I'm gonna hijack this post to challenge the use of a disconnect switch. I say the only reason to have one is if you have an electric wind clock.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #22
Jack E/NJ

Then how is your clock gonna keep time? 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #23
Jack E/NJ

Highboy34>>>I like the rotary master switches with the removable lever. Whenever I leave the car the lever goes with me. Every little bit of security helps. >>>

What if you lose the lever? 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Old 12-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #24
G.M.

Every time I post Bob Shewmans email I think is it gadgeteer or gadgiteer I have a 50/50 chance of getting it right or wrong. I even thought of gadjiteer a few times. Someone will let me know if I'm wrong and Bob gets a little more exposure. Bob makes the flex hoses, carb base insulators and modifies the heavy duty battery disconnect to fit on the batteries of the old Fords. His email is [email protected] The reason I said it didn't matter which terminal of the battery to mount the switch on was on some of these old cars one terminal is in a position that the disconnect switch mounts better. For the people with electric clocks you could run a single fused wire from the hot battery terminal in front of the switch to the clock. These old cars should be disconnected when not in use. There are a lot of wires that are not fused and if the ignition switch was left on the voltage to it would also be disconnected by the disconnect switch. G.M.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #25
bbrocksr

Have you ever had an electrical problem with smoke while driving?
How about a stuck starter switch?
How about a stuck voltage regulator?
How about having to remove the ground cable every time you want to work on the electrical system? Worse yet trying to do it in a hurry to prevent a fire or further damage due to one of the above problems.
How about the added security?
I realize that if your car is perfect and you never make a mistake this won't happen,But there is still the convenience and security.
How many of us never make a mistake and have perfect cars?
I vote for a correctly installed disconnect switch!
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #26
robert dick

i have always used a marine battery disconnect, on the negative side, never had any problems , but the switches are a bit pricey.
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #27
Jack E/NJ

G.M.>>>Every time I post Bob Shewmans email I think is it gadgeteer or gadgiteer I have a 50/50 chance of getting it right or wrong.>>>His email is [email protected]>>>

The reason you have this problem, G.M., is because Bob spells gadgiteer wrong. Just like the 3 'muskiteers' is wrong. A gadget, just like a musket, doesn't have an 'i' in it. If you try to google gaditeer, it automatically corrects it to gadgeteer.

I think somebody oughta email Bob and give him the bad news---his email address is spelled wrong.

Jack E/NJ
Old 12-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #28
G.M.

Even if he changes it I will no doubt still have the same problem. G.M.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #29
49r

I don't use a switch - just keep my 1/2 inch spanner handy and disconnect the ground from the battery. Keeps the terminal clean too.
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #30
31chevy

Thank all of you for your input. I have three car's & two have the good rotary switchs one is a Pollack I believe to be approved for drag racing it was given to me by my oldest son who drag races in Washington State. Hence I did not have the instructions. I was glad to hear about the cheapie as my 31 Chevy has that one & I believe answers a problem for me. My 34 ford is 6 volt pos. ground. My chev 6 volt neg. ground. My 48 desoto ( not original) is 12 volt neg. ground. As was mentioned I find the switches very handy when you are working on the car instead of disconnecting the cable each time. Thanks again.
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #31
j32

Hi guys, I build interiors for customs and have always wanted a high quality disconnect that I could install on customers car's, other than the green knob or the one's with the big handle. About a week ago a buddys electrical system shorted out .....thankfully we were standing there and saw smoke.....if this happened when it was parked in the house garage it could have had a much different ending. Also this was a brand new restoration with all new parts. After that I put together a nice kit that uses a high quality solenoid that is triggered by a momentary push button that can be hidden most anywhere and once switched there is no current used to energize a coil. It's rated at 110 amps with a 750 amp surge. You install this unit between the pos. terminal and the starter. Another feature is if you would like to keep your clock or any other items powered up,you just connect them to the battery side of the solenoid.....it makes a great theft deturrent too. I will be installing these on customer cars in the future.If anyone is interested in a kit I would be happy to put one together for you, the cost would be $99.95 plus s&h. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Thanks,Joe
j32 is offline   Reply With Quote