Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
Brewsterbuff

Default Universal joint lubrication

Putting the rear end back in my '34. The universal joint seems to be lubricated with transmission gear lube. Is this correct or is there another way to get grease or lubricant to the U-joint?. I see that there is a grease fitting but that looks to lube the bell connection and not the u-joint. Thanks, Don
Brewsterbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
Steve Staysko

Default Re: Universal joint lubrication

Use John Deere Cornhead grease and it can be found in tubes at most any JD dealer. When I added the grease I pack the U-joint cavity with grease prior to final assemble and then topped it up through the grease nipple.
Steve Staysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Staysko View Post
Use John Deere Cornhead grease and it can be found in tubes at most any JD dealer. When I added the grease I pack the U-joint cavity with grease prior to final assemble and then topped it up through the grease nipple.
X2, ....exactly what I do.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
Andy

Is the JDCG OK for the transmission? I think that excess grease pumped in the U joint housing goes into the transmission, The seal on the driveshaft would keep it from going that way. I don't think there is a seal on the back of the transmission.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
Steve Staysko

No the grease will not migrate into the transmission I've used it in my cars for years and have never had that problem.
Steve Staysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #6
rotorwrench

The little port in the u-joint cap should be aligned with the grease fitting on the clam shell. This should allow the lube to get in the proper places. If you remove the speedo drive cover prior to servicing, you can sort of see if it gets enough lube in the cavity when it tries to extrude out there.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
40 Deluxe

John Deere lists two types of cornhead grease: one for high speed gearboxes and the other for low speed gearboxes. I imagine the high speed grease is best for u-joints and the low speed for steering boxes.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:15 AM   #8
Drbrown

Don't know if the '34 tranny is designed this way but my '47 tranny has a slinger on the tranny shaft at the rear of the tranny instead of a seal. I understand the design intention is that some tranny gear oil (i use StaLube 95w for easy shifting) gets into the U-joint to slop around and lube it, and the grease fitting on the outer U joint primarily lubes the double clam shell because they move independently. Then there's the seal in the torque tube that, if working, keeps any tranny gear oil from heading into the banjo.

I check and change my tranny gear oil and zap the clam shell with the grease gun when scheduled. I find gear oil inside the U joint chamber and have not had any problems with the U joint to date.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:27 AM   #9
Talkwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
Don't know if the '34 tranny is designed this way but my '47 tranny has a slinger on the tranny shaft at the rear of the tranny instead of a seal. I understand the design intention is that some tranny gear oil (i use StaLube 95w for easy shifting) gets into the U-joint to slop around and lube it, and the grease fitting on the outer U joint primarily lubes the double clam shell because they move independently. Then there's the seal in the torque tube that, if working, keeps any tranny gear oil from heading into the banjo.

I check and change my tranny gear oil and zap the clam shell with the grease gun when scheduled. I find gear oil inside the U joint chamber and have not had any problems with the U joint to date.
Correct, I don't feel the need for 'Over lubing" the uni area . What should be checked if you are assembling the trans is the slinger to bearing fit . Put the shaft in a vice and assemble, bearing , slinger, slide the uni on and do it up. Now check the fit and make sure its not rubbing .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14202532_10154490527838064_6368380684215240943_n.jpg (35.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 04-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
George/Maine

I think the grease is ok ,but if the trans runs low on oil , may cause problem with u joint. Should check if leaking often.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote