Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #21
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Remote Oil Filter Modification

OK, I need to ask. Has anyone gone without a filter and analyzed their engine's oil?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #22
qmdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
What he is trying to tell everyone the port where the filter gets it's oil supply is kinda under the firewall. It would be impossible to get to and drill the oil port, besides there would be a chance of getting shavings in the block. The port in the oil pan is a return line. Al
Pretty sure in the MCF full flow, the oil goes from the pump through the side of the pan, then through the filter then to the back of the engine witch feeds the oil gallery.

Tim
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:24 PM   #23
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmdv View Post
Pretty sure in the MCF full flow, the oil goes from the pump through the side of the pan, then through the filter then to the back of the engine witch feeds the oil gallery.

Tim
True, but the 95% style requires drilling in the upper bellhousing area.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:55 AM   #24
Lawrie

Ronnie, if you use aircraft quality fittings and braided high temp hose inside the oil pan you should be safe.my 33 has about 80,000klms on my setup with no dramas,BUT it is a lot of work,maybe I have too much time on my hands.and I like making stuff.
I just made two 33 rear axles from some old 39 ones,they turned out great.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #25
Frank Miller

I am not sure about the bypass filtering out finer particles but I think ford went this route as a clogged filter would not starve the engine. It would be interesting to see results for someone not running any filter on a stock setup.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #26
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
I am not sure about the bypass filtering out finer particles but I think ford went this route as a clogged filter would not starve the engine. It would be interesting to see results for someone not running any filter on a stock setup.
The filter medium is finer in the by-pass filter than in a full-flow filter.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #27
GordonC

Gents I see it mentioned that some folks have ruined their newly rebuilt flat heads connecting the oil lines up incorrectly to their remote mounted oil filters. My motor is rebuilt and about ready to fire up. I have had the 95% filtering solution done to the motor and a remote filter in an O'brien finned housing. How can I be sure that I have connected the lines up correctly? I looked inside the remote filter mount and it doesn't appear there is any valving there so how would I know if I have it correct or not? I have 3 fittings on the back of the block. The inner most top fitting (closest to center of motor) I have a line run to one side of the remote filter mount. The next fitting out from that I have an oil pressure gauge installed for fire up and break in purposes. The last fitting is horizontal and that is run from the block to the other fitting on the remote mount. It does have the grub screw inserted in through the horizontal opening in the block.
GordonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #28
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Perhaps take a look at this from Amsoil, it may help to clarify.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...b&action=click

This below is the Amsoil setup I have on mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amsoil1.jpg (43.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg amsoil2.jpg (34.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 11-02-2017, 09:19 AM   #29
V8 Bob

All the remote filter mounts I have are all clearly labeled IN and OUT. IN would be from the outer left (original) horizontal port, and OUT would go to the (new) inner most port.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #30
GordonC

I'll check the filter mount again to make sure it isn't labeled and I just missed it. Lower horizontal fitting is out to filter and upper inner fitting is return. Got it and will check this to make sure I have it correct. Thanks guys!
Old 11-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #31
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post

That is a by-pass style set-up, completely different than the 95% style set-up.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #32
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonC View Post
I'll check the filter mount again to make sure it isn't labeled and I just missed it. Lower horizontal fitting is out to filter and upper inner fitting is return. Got it and will check this to make sure I have it correct. Thanks guys!
Any way you can post a photo of your filter? Is the filter itself inside the enclosure a spin-on or is it a cartridge type of filter? Not all filters have check valves, but you want to be sure!

As a last check, I would take the return line loose from the block (the inside fitting nearest the center of the engine) and turn the engine over with the coil off. Let it build up enough oil pressure to see if you have a good oil stream out the return line. This will also prime your oil system and fill the filter so the engine is getting oil pressure from the moment it fires.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #33
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonC View Post
Gents I see it mentioned that some folks have ruined their newly rebuilt flat heads connecting the oil lines up incorrectly to their remote mounted oil filters. My motor is rebuilt and about ready to fire up. I have had the 95% filtering solution done to the motor and a remote filter in an O'brien finned housing. How can I be sure that I have connected the lines up correctly? I looked inside the remote filter mount and it doesn't appear there is any valving there so how would I know if I have it correct or not? I have 3 fittings on the back of the block. The inner most top fitting (closest to center of motor) I have a line run to one side of the remote filter mount. The next fitting out from that I have an oil pressure gauge installed for fire up and break in purposes. The last fitting is horizontal and that is run from the block to the other fitting on the remote mount. It does have the grub screw inserted in through the horizontal opening in the block.
Gorden,
Your right, those O'Brian remote filter housings are not marked.
On the Remote filter side make sure the "out" line from the engine is going in the hole that flows to the outside of the spin on filter, Not the center.
Quick way to test is blow air in the hole, Dirty oil goes on the outside and clean oil returns to engine from the center of the filter.

Ralph
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #34
19Fordy

Gee whiz! Looks like that Amsoil partial filter set up is a winner.

51 MERC-CT Perhaps I missed something but, I am assuming that the partial filtering is totally done by the Amsoil filter and related components. Do you have to modify the OEM oil fitting passages on the rear of the block of can you just screw in the 2 filter lines and you're good to go with no other modifications needed?
Thanks, JIM

Wonder how efficient the stock 8BA partial filtering set up is compared to the Amsoil?

Last edited by 19Fordy; 11-02-2017 at 11:25 AM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #35
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post

And now we have a new debate. When converting to a full flow system are you also changing out the filter. I am using a paper filter in my 49. I'm thinking I can go to something smaller. I think the video is made for a more modern filter running that system but it was interesting to see that it does work and quite well.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #36
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
That is a by-pass style set-up, completely different than the 95% style set-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Gee whiz! Looks like that Amsoil partial filter set up is a winner.

51 MERC-CT Perhaps I missed something but, I am assuming that the partial filtering is totally done by the Amsoil filter and related components. Do you have to modify the OEM oil fitting passages on the rear of the block of can you just screw in the 2 filter lines and you're good to go with no other modifications needed?
Thanks, JIM

Wonder how efficient the stock 8BA partial filtering set up is compared to the Amsoil?
Quote:
And now we have a new debate. When converting to a full flow system are you also changing out the filter. I am using a paper filter in my 49. I'm thinking I can go to something smaller. I think the video is made for a more modern filter running that system but it was interesting to see that it does work and quite well.
To clarify, I know what a 95% system is.
The Amsoil filter on mine just replaces the original canister setup with a better spin on filter.
The restictor is built into the spin on mount.
It is a bypass filter that functions the same as the original and is not being represented as being a 95% system.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #37
flatheadmurre

If the time between oilchanges is short you can go to a smaller filter area.
The filter needs to be large enough so you don´t loose flow due to backpressure when it starts clogging up or the bypass valve stays open all the time.
Bypass filters can be finer mesh cause you don´t have to take flow into consideration...if the flow goes down closer to maintenance it doesn´t hurt the flow to the bearings.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #38
GordonC

RalphM thats what I was looking for! Thanks. I have it set up that way, fortunately!

JSeery I'll post a few pics if I can get this to work... not sure why they turn sideways in the upload as they are right side up on my desktop. Oh, the rubber hoses are temporary so I can fire the motor up. I promise Ill get proper hard lines done up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171102_122539.jpg (58.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 20171102_121642.jpg (62.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20171102_121654.jpg (49.1 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by GordonC; 11-02-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:12 PM   #39
Dales1931

Scan_20171102 (2).jpg

This came with my filter.
Carl
Dales1931 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #40
GordonC

Carl thanks. I didn't get that info with mine but I have it hooked up that way. I appreciate it. Good news is I am seeing oil coming up the oil pressure gauge line when I crank it with the plugs out so its pumping oil! Just need to check out the fuel system and finalize the ignition stuff and I should be ready to fire this thing up. Neighbors are gonna hate me straight off the exhaust manifolds no mufflers yet!