Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
dynaflash_8

Default Blew the headgasket today...

so i fought my overheating problem and thought i had it solved. Milled the head flat, new headgasket with copper coat. Torqued the head cold, then hot, then cold again. Washed the grease from the radiator with gasoline to clean it up. 6 blade fan and no thermostat. Been having fun driving the car almost every day and up to 250 miles a week. Today, with a lady friend in the car coming back from lunch, i was doing about 53 mph on the highway. Car was loving it and has done it several times. I added about 2 cups of water the day before just to top it off. Well bout half way home (only about 20 miles) it started spitting out the cap a bit. Noticed that it would get worse if i gave it throttle. Bout 30 seconds later, its gushing out the rad. i pull over and it looks like a steam boiler. Some steam out the tail pipe, whole bunch up front. Needless to say my car became a sauna. Let it cool down, took the next exit and added a gallon of water to it. Limped it home.

Will this ever end? Was having the same problem back in september, and it took untill november to get it sorted out.
dynaflash_8 is offline   Reply With Quote