Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
peewee2you

Default Gas additive's

Do any of you recommend or use Sta-Bil to keep the gas preserved during the winter if you are not using your vehicle. I was recently told that this new gas starts to breakdown right around 30 days, and that this would keep it viable, if that's the word to use.
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Gas additive's

I use Sta-bil but prefer to drain the gas out if it is ethanol and it is going to sit for a few months or more. If I was planning a winter storage and wanted to keep gas in the tank I would fill it up with "clear" gas as the non ethanol is called, and add the recommended amt. of Sta-bil or
Seafoam
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
paul2748

I don't. My son had a very bad experience with it, gumming up the carb.

I have never used any type of stabilizer in any of my cars, now going on 25+ years and never had gas go bad to the extent it would not fire. I generally put gas in in Oct. or Nov. and don't add till March or April. I do start the cars about once a month and let them heat up to operating temp.

This past summer I used two year old gas/oil mix for my weed whacker with no problem.

All 10 % ethanol.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

I prefer Seafoam myself. OMO ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
47COE

I have a 250 gallon tank of non ethanol gas on the farm. I add Sta-bil to the large tank, but don't put Sta-bil directly in any vehicle tanks.

Can't say that I've seen either good or bad things from using the Sta-bil.

Tom
47COE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
PhoenixFear

I have used Sta-bil in my dad's '47 Harley, can't say that it will hurt anything as I cleaned the tanks and the fuel system before I added it. I've used a ton of Seafoam in other projects and it works well for sitting fuel. Also, B-12 Chemtool works good too, I've cleaned a few carbs with it as well as using it as a fuel additive.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
no6

I know a small engine repair man that says 30 days for the small engines, the ethanol seperates from the gas and draws mouisture causing rust or corrosion and plays havoc on some plastics and rubbers. He sells non ethanol which he admits is expensive but tells me to run carb dry and put just enough in to fill carb. I have been having trouble with my small engines and on my past Chevy 348 I had six holley 94s that the accelerator pumps swelled up and you could not push the gas pedal down. I called Charlie Price at Vintage Speed in Vero Beach Fl and he sold me accelerator pumps and I did not have any problem after that.
no6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Ford coupe

We spend enough money at the gas companys so why could they not write up an honest post about the pros and cons of ethanol in the fuel we use..
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
Kurt in NJ

When the ethonalgas first came out I had problems with the car and lawnmower, last couple of years I have just pushed the mower into the shed---drug it out in the spring, 2 pulls and it was running, this past summer when we had the big wind that knocked out power the generator in the motorhome that had been sitting for 4 years was started and ran for 40 hours on the 4 year old gas, my A I just back into the garage and shut off ---

whatever toxic waste they are adding to the gas now seems to be reasonably stable.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
oldsledz

Go to your local air field with a gas can and get 5 gallons on 100 octaine low lead airplane fuel. Drain out the crap gas in your tank, put the 100 in, start it up and run for 15 minutes, shut it off and store it. No need for any additives. 100 octaine has a shelf life of 3 years.
oldsledz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
voblackwood

When questioned. both Shell and Chevron will tell you that modern day fuels. both gasoline and Diesel have a shelf life of 60 days. The additives are so expensive that they use a minimun amount to save money. Corporate theory is you buy fuel to use it not store it! The gas of today will not start a trash fire in 2 years! Sta-bil and Seafoam will do their job but the base fuel is JUNK.
voblackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
296 V8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by voblackwood View Post
When questioned. both Shell and Chevron will tell you that modern day fuels. both gasoline and Diesel have a shelf life of 60 days. The additives are so expensive that they use a minimun amount to increase their profits . Corporate theory is you buy fuel to use it not store it! The gas of today will not start a trash fire in 2 years! Sta-bil and Seafoam will do their job but the base fuel is JUNK.
Fixed it for you
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #13
Brendan

Pete, just drive your car, and fill it with fresh gas!...LOL
Brendan

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote