Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #1
jhawk

Default chain driven starter

I am going on 84 and I am getting tired of cranking my "15" , but don't want to give her up, so would someone out there direct me to some good info on chain driven starters??? PLEASE ! Again I thank ALL you guys with all your knowledge in advance, you are great!!!!!! Or if there is another answere to this please share it. Thanks again!! jim
jhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #2
40 Deluxe

Default Re: chain driven starter

Might it not be easier to just install a factory starter?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
29spcoupe

You could have someone install a ring gear on your flywheel and use a later hogshead that will accept a starter. That way you could keep your original engine. Might be the easier and most cost effective way to go. John
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
Dodge

Back in the day there was a Gray Davis (spelling) it was chain driven off the front of the motor. It also was a generator that would keep a battery charged.
I have one that I'm saving for the same reason.
I did put a stock Model T system on my Dads 1912 Touring when he was 82 and it let him drive his car until he was 95.
You do have to pull everything apart to do it, but it would be cheaper and easier to get parts for.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
jhawk

I was thinking ring gear and hogs head then I ran across a thread dated 12-3 2014 from "oldmotorsguy" ( "Adding a starter to a non-starter equipped T ") ,if you read that you may see why I want to check out other options, thank you all and please keep thethoughts coming ! jim
Old 09-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
jhawk

Question Re: chain driven starter

jim to Dodge.. Do you have any Info On this "Gary Davis " chain drive you could share? Hope you do!! jim
Old 09-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #7
Dodge

I'll look thru my stuff, somewhere I have the brochure and installation booklet.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
jhawk

Red face Re: chain driven starter

Sorry to trouble you , but I sure do thank you for what you are doing!! jim
Old 09-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
Jack Innes

Jim, Here is a link to an instruction book for sale. There are several pages shown - it sure looks like a regular T starter would be easier to install & keep working. I did that on my 14 after I could not crank it any more. I used a later hogs head with the correct pedal pads welded on to the later levers. Painted aluminum color, it looked pretty original. A battery lasts a long time even without a generator.

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Model-St.../dp/B00QPSXCVU

Jack
Old 09-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #10
jhawk

Wink Re: chain driven starter

jack, All you guys are the greatest!!!!! Thank you so very much for all your trouble, to get all the help you guys give and from such a wide area!! Here Im setting in a small town in Kansas,and have the only T here,it is almost unreal, and those turds in Washington DC ,with all their money and power cant figure out how to get things done , or even get along with each other!!! Thanks again guys!! Like I said your THE GREATEST! jim
Old 09-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #11
hammerless-12

My Father had one of these "aftermarket" chain drive starter/generators on a late teens touring car. He took it off because the chain and gears where pretty well worm out. I believe he still has it. I know I run across a thick wiring loom with many wires attached to the dash up in his attic a few weeks ago. It must have been some set-up. I would have loved seeing it working on a car.
hammerless-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
hammerless-12

I asked my father about the chain drive starter. He says he still has it, somewhere. I found only the wiring and the control panel that went inside the car. He thought it was a Jack and Heitz or something as such. He also stated the gears where good but the chain was wore out.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:30 PM   #13
jhawk

Hammer, I have no idea what these sell for, but should your Dad decide to let go of it please let me know the price he would accept for it plus shipping, Ihave no idea how far apart we are , my zip is 67420 I would like to have it if I can afford it. Hope to hear back from you. Thank you and your Dad for all your time and trouble I have caused You .Wish I could buy you and your Dad a cup of coffee and just sit and shoot the breeze for a while,I think that would be good. jim
Old 09-28-2017, 11:04 PM   #14
hammerless-12

I'll see if he or I can find it. I won't be home for a day or so. I'll try and post a picture of the controls. I'll look around for the rest of it also.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #15
Dodge

I found the brochure/instruction book. It must have gotten some water on it, but it is still readable. I am not good on scanning on the computer.
But if you want you can PM me with your address. I'll send it you can go thru it and send it back.
I may also think about selling my unit.

Dodge
Old 10-03-2017, 01:04 AM   #16
hammerless-12

Here is a photo of the dash control for the starter/generator Dad removed from one of his T's years ago. The unit is marked on the dial "Heinz and Springfield". I have not been able to come up with the rest of this unit. With Dad being 86 he has accumulated much. I'll keep you posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171002_234239_HDR.jpg (37.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20171002_234155_HDR.jpg (48.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20171002_234405_HDR.jpg (45.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20171002_234357_HDR.jpg (40.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-03-2017, 04:50 AM   #17
jhawk

Thank you SO much for the pictures they are great!!! I have never seen any thing like it befor. jim
Old 10-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #18
jhawk

Exclamation Re: chain driven starter

Hey GuYs! Thank you for ALL your input, It all helped , it seems that the only people that have these "starters" have pulled them off of their cars ,there must be a reason they are pulled. I guess I will just keep on cranking till I cant any more. Like my wife of 63 years told me ,maybe my 'T" is telling me something I should already know. Anyway , thanks again guys! jim
Old 10-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #19
dumb person

Here i was considering making a chain starter because i can't get replacement factory ones.
Have seen one with a chain start, it doesn't look that hard to make one. Just the ratchet is difficult. The reason people replaced them for factory ones is 100 years later the availability of parts is in a different ratio, and the weight.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #20
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Heres one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horapeto 022.jpg (60.6 KB, 57 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #21
txkhog

Just passing through and saw this. could you possibly rig up a remote dragster starter motor something like this. This was from Summit Racing. The drive dog will have to be modified to match the engine crank???

Last edited by txkhog; 12-27-2018 at 11:57 AM.
txkhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #22
FRANK PKNY

THE CHAIN DRIVE WAS DEVELOPED PRIOR THE FORD OFFERING A STARTER. It's a option you would not consider after 1919. Your most dependable conversion would be a flywheel and hogshead for a starter engine. Post 1919. Much better than the way your asking to go.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:08 AM   #23
hammerless-12

Hey FlatheadTed. That's a very interesting photo.although it isn't or doesn't appear to be an actual chain drive starting system. You photo appears to be driven through a gearbox and shaft, both to drive the gearbox as well as a replacing the hand crank with a shaft. All three of the chain drive starters I have seen installed on model T's where mounted under the hood. The starter had a gear and another gear affixed to the crankshaft with a very heavy chain to turn the engine over. The chain was very much like a modern timing chain. Thank you for the photo, it just goes to show how many different products where offered and/or home built for the old tin lizy . That's an interesting mount, right at the front of the frame. Very cool. Take care.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #24
jhawk

please do keep me posted and could you please give me an idea of the cost for one ,I have no idea what it would be,my 15 kicked back and put me on the shop floor so Im still thinking about it. Thanks again for all your time and trouble!! jim
Old 10-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #25
jhawk

THank you ,Im afraid Im not up on this hot rod stuff, but it sounds possible! thanks again, jim
Old 10-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #26
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I could get more detail if you wanted ,I think you could use the inerter part of a starter motor to engage with the crank nut .Ted
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerless-12 View Post
Hey FlatheadTed. That's a very interesting photo.although it isn't or doesn't appear to be an actual chain drive starting system. You photo appears to be driven through a gearbox and shaft, both to drive the gearbox as well as a replacing the hand crank with a shaft. All three of the chain drive starters I have seen installed on model T's where mounted under the hood. The starter had a gear and another gear affixed to the crankshaft with a very heavy chain to turn the engine over. The chain was very much like a modern timing chain. Thank you for the photo, it just goes to show how many different products where offered and/or home built for the old tin lizy . That's an interesting mount, right at the front of the frame. Very cool. Take care.

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote