Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2022, 10:09 PM   #21
deuce5wndw

Default Re: Checking blocks for condition Pressure testing

Mine is 3/8 with 1/8 rubber glued to it. While they are cutting do the water pump plates also.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:30 PM   #22
GB SISSON

Thanks all! I feel this is a very important topic to be discussing on the forum. With these blocks, testing is Everything. With today's labor rates a couple of cracks means a throw away, but success on a proper mag test, pressure test, and good bores, and you have something!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 12-17-2022 at 11:45 PM.
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 04:38 AM   #23
Mart

The extra hole on an 8BA is a simple passage from the head face to the water pump face. It doesn't go to the water jacket as such, so shouldn't need blocking. You don't need coolant holes so it should be universal 59A/8BA.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 08:05 AM   #24
Ronnieroadster

Mart is correct that small hole on the deck at the front edge of the block is simply a bypass hole to the water pump housing. So if you pattern the plate from the 59 type head gasket the pressure plate will work perfectly.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 09:58 AM   #25
Bored&Stroked

Hey Ronnie, I like the "universal" idea of a plate that does both 21 and 24 stud blocks. Thanks!

Another idea would be to make a thicker aluminum plate that could also be used as a honing plate when the bores are honed. I have about a 3" think one that we made for the FlatCAD - though when we recently used it, the bores showed no signs of distortion (shadowing) in the stud locations - so not really sure that it provides value. What it did help us find was some weak stud threads! Yikes! We were fortunate to find them before the block was assembled and was still at the machine shop.

We used "RockMount" inserts in a couple locations - really a cool product. They are harder than Hell and really should be put in on a big Mill. But, they also would be ideal for aluminum situations.

https://rockmountwelding.com/product...l/?sku=90402-2

Do you use a honing torque plate - what have you seen with shadowing when you first start the hone process?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 09:58 AM   #26
deuce5wndw

Well. I'm not as smart as I thought!!! lol
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 10:05 AM   #27
glennpm

glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 10:55 AM   #28
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Here's some pictures of the universal Ford flathead pressure testing plate for 21 and 24 stud blocks. Note along the front and rear edges the various holes required to accommodate the differences of the water holes and bolt patterns between the 21 and 24 stud blocks. Three holes on each end require a pipe plug thread to seal the plate correctly against the water hole differences.
Ronnieroadster
Ronnie, how was this plate made? Is it an actual head with portions cut away? If I had one cut from plate and had a handful of spacers like hex nuts or pipe cuttoffs, I should be able to leave the studs in place when necessary, correct?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 12-18-2022, 11:16 AM   #29
Mart

GB, if you have any scrap steering boxes, the column shaft tube would make good standoffs. It's 3/4" diameter and the bore should clear a 7/16" stud. You'd have to check and maybe drill it a bit, but I think it clears.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 01:23 PM   #30
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
GB, if you have any scrap steering boxes, the column shaft tube would make good standoffs. It's 3/4" diameter and the bore should clear a 7/16" stud. You'd have to check and maybe drill it a bit, but I think it clears.

Mart.
Or just order some DOM steel tubing - cut to length and finish the ends.
Old 12-18-2022, 03:12 PM   #31
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Ronnie, how was this plate made? Is it an actual head with portions cut away? If I had one cut from plate and had a handful of spacers like hex nuts or pipe cuttoffs, I should be able to leave the studs in place when necessary, correct?
No this plate was made for the testing it may be by KR Wilson but I'm not sure the name and part number are not readable. Its cast iron and very heavy.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Old 12-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #32
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Hey Ronnie, I like the "universal" idea of a plate that does both 21 and 24 stud blocks. Thanks!

Another idea would be to make a thicker aluminum plate that could also be used as a honing plate when the bores are honed. I have about a 3" think one that we made for the FlatCAD - though when we recently used it, the bores showed no signs of distortion (shadowing) in the stud locations - so not really sure that it provides value. What it did help us find was some weak stud threads! Yikes! We were fortunate to find them before the block was assembled and was still at the machine shop.

We used "RockMount" inserts in a couple locations - really a cool product. They are harder than Hell and really should be put in on a big Mill. But, they also would be ideal for aluminum situations.

https://rockmountwelding.com/product...l/?sku=90402-2

Do you use a honing torque plate - what have you seen with shadowing when you first start the hone process?
Hi Dale
We definitely use a torque plate for the competition flathead blocks there's definitely shadowing around the bores where the threaded holes are located. Considering the bore we run 3-5/16 that's enough to cause the distortion when tightening the torque plate.
Ronnieroadster
Old 12-19-2022, 08:17 AM   #33
Bored&Stroked

Thanks Ronnie! Was wondering what you saw with the torque plate and hone - appreciate the info.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:42 AM   #34
KiWinUS

I too use my Honing Torque plate to pressure test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 37CAE9A8-BC97-46AA-8AD3-DBB96CDC50D7.jpeg (104.8 KB, 28 views)
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 03:21 PM   #35
supereal

Our shop is equipped with a device that tests the cylinder bores with ultrasound to determine the thickness between the cylinder bore and the surrounding water jacket, and any "sand" spots that may cause failure. It has saved us from spending time on blocks that are likely to fail.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:17 PM   #36
Yoyodyne

Here's my combination 21 and 24 stud plate. I use a 1/16 rubber gasket, it holds 60 psi in open bolts holes no problem. You can see where it stretched but it hasn't failed. I didn't put every hole in the rubber gasket so I didn't need to put a bolt or stud in every hole.

For the pump blockoff plates I tried 3/16 plate, that bent and leaked at under 30 psi. So I grabbed a thick piece of aluminum, faced it and put holes in it. You don't need pretty to be effective.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221219_194419.jpg (40.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20221219_193610.jpg (55.9 KB, 39 views)
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:12 PM   #37
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post

Mart.
Scrap steering box? Funny you should ask. I replaced the jailbar steering box on my shop built snow plow today. You'll have to stay tuned for that in a seperate thread. Back to our regular scheduled feature, pressure testing.