Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Hunter

Default Rear Fender Welting - 1929 Coupe

I have a question about the manner in which the rear fender welting was installed. The material I have is about 1.5 inch wide. So at the top (12 o'clock position) the welt would fit simply between the top of the fender and the body. However as one moves from the 12 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock or say between 9 and 12 the 1.5 inch width would have to folded and end up behind the lip of the bracket and could be slit to slip over the fender studs. Was it done this way? So some of it would be behind the fender lip and some would not?

Thanks - Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
ford1

Default Re: Rear Fender Welting - 1929 Coupe

lol ok how do i explain this with out confusing you, have a friend help you hold the welting against the body in the body fender grove, take a piece of chalk and draw a line straight down from the top of each fender bolt to the bottom of the welting or beading, what ever you call it, now lay it on a table and mark out 1/2' notches on the welting going about 1/4' above the fender bolt and 1/4" on each side of the bolt, install fender and nuts just to hold it in place, now take the welting and feed it past the fender and body lining up the notches with the bolts, use your fingers to push it up tight to the body between the fender edge, snug up the top nut, not tight just snug, now with a pair of plyers pull on the tabs on each side of the fender bolt till the welting is seated tight, do that with the rest of the beading and nuts, pulling one on each side of the top bolt to keep welting straight, use the plyers to pull the welting tight, after you have gone all the way around check and see that there are no puckers, if so loosen nuts and adjust, when done tighten all nuts fairly tight, you want just enough slack in the notches so you can move the beading around as needed while installing it, be sure to leave just a little play at the top of the bolt notch so you can keep the welting tight against the fender and body with out binding or puckering just go slow if it binds trim a little more on the binding notch till there is no interference

Last edited by ford1; 01-22-2012 at 02:24 PM.
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Hunter

Default Re: Rear Fender Welting - 1929 Coupe

Thank you Ford1.

Your instructions are very clear to me. I appreciate it - Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote