Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2022, 09:00 AM   #1
mbaughman

Default Early 28 Model A Brake Cross Shaft

I have an early 28 Model A RPU with the split brake cross shaft, both shafts are worn pretty flat. I have read that some have had these welded and machined back to the correct dimensions. Is there a source to have this done or is it best just to look for a set with less wear?

Last edited by mbaughman; 09-16-2022 at 08:22 PM.
mbaughman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Early 28 Model A Brake Cross Shaft

The split cross shafts are not all that common now with so many years gone by. A lot of folks converted them to the late type set up per the service bulletin since Ford stopped supplying parts specific to them. There are sleeve repair kits for cross shafts with wear. They come with the bronze spherical bearings as well. I don't know if that would work on yours or not. Folks repair the single piece cross shafts by welding them up and machining them back to specs so I know it can be done. Snyder's advertised it in their catalog but no mention of two piece types and no online mention. I just don't know of anyone providing the service for the two piece types. Maybe some one else knows someone providing this service. A good machine shop should be able to do the job.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:26 AM   #3
31Tudor

I had mine welded up and finished. It took me 4 machine shops to work my way aound to find someone that either could or would. It was a metal fabricating shop that agreed to do my project for me. They did a great job, took out the wear on the shafts, and the wear, where the stops hit.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:58 AM   #4
supergnat

There is information on how to convert from the early split version to the current single shaft version in the Model A Service Bulletins. Also check the swap link since some people have been selling those parts after they do the conversion. That way you would have limited use of your car if the other parts need rework.
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:07 PM   #5
supergnat

You might want to call Berte Model A store in CO. They might have the parts you need from their salvage inventory. https://modelastore.com/
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote