Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #21
30ccpickup

Default Re: Cut Out Issues?

Probably more info than you want, but if it is original I would rework it and continue to use it. http://modelabasics.com/Cutout.htm

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #22
Chris H

When I got my Model A it came with one of the aftermarket repo cut outs, spot welded shut. It was not the diode type, I am sure. After reading, here, about others that had used the Fun Projects regulator cut outs I made the decision to give one a try, especially since it did not require modifying the generator.

After 3 years of use, I feel safe to say that they do work as advertised. You do need to follow the instructions supplied with the unit, though. Do not attempt to polarize the generator with it installed, as it will damage the regulator. Set the 3rd brush as instructed. Now, I should add that I do not drive at night, very often, so my battery load is relatively low. I can’t say how well it would keep up to a heavy current draw with the lights on as, if I recall, the 3rd brush is set for a relatively low rate of 10 or 15 amps.

Watching the ammeter as I drive around, I do see the charge current drop off as the battery is charged from starting, as I would expect to see.

Checking the ammeter at shut down is one of those good habits to get into, but do admit that I am not real good about it, as my routine at the end of the day is to shut off the fuel, and run the engine until it quits. Then turn off the key followed by opening the battery disconnect.

1930 Tudor
1964 MGB
1979 MGB

Ham call: N9WHH
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-26-2018, 10:33 PM   #23
Bud Man

Thanks to all for the replies and some great suggestions. Replaced the cut out (diode), and all seems well. Checking my ammeter now, and can't thank those folks enough who brought it to my attention. Next comes the battery cut-off!!
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote