Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default 1987 Mercury 5.0 liter/engine overheats

We have four young men from the Czech Republic staying with us for a day or two, on their way to tour the U.S. They bought the car in ME, and after they got to NJ, it started overheating. A very nice mechanic looked it over and put on a new thermostat and hoses, and checked over the cooling system for leaks. The radiator looked new, and he wasn't sure whether it was the right size or not. The mechanic let them stay overnight at his house because it was nighttime before he finished. On their way out here, the engine overheated several times. They finally left the hood open with the safety latch hooked, turned the heater on high, and drove with the windows open all the way out here. I have checked it over for leaks, and found none. Does anyone out there have any other ideas? These young men do not want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere on their trip. My daughter has a motel website if you need that address. Thank you, Clark Giller

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: 1987 Mercury 5.0 liter/engine overheats

if the timming is not set to low(this will cause the engine to over heat) i would guess its the raditor that is to blame, does it slowly over heat? gets hotter the longer you drive it? if it does thats a sign of a plugged raditor, even if it looks new, have it flow tested at a raditor shop, if it stayed cooler using the heater then it is the raditor the heater increases the air flow to cool the water like an extra raditor

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">