Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default boss 302

im building a 1970 boss 302 mustang and i really really need a boss 302 motor would like it complete if u or somebody u know has 1 email me i want it no matter what the price and i also need a hurst shifter knob for the same car thanks

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: boss 302

unless you just want the snob value of a boss engine, you can use 289 heads(higher compressin than 302 heads, and they have ajustable rockers) put 351 valves in them a good cam and 4 bbl maifold and carb you then have a clone 302 boss

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

No Sir, a Boss engine did not have 289 heads on it! A boss 302 was a winsdor engine with cleveland heads on it. If you want a boss engine and you do not find one, you can take a set of 351 cleveland heads and put them on a 302 winsdor block. You will have to plug the water crossover that is in the front of the block and also the one in the surface of the head. And this brings you back to square one because there is not a manifold that will fit this combo. Unless you find an original boss 302 manifold or there used to be a street boss intake for this swap but it is more scare than the boss 302 manifold. The best head to use is the two barrel carb Astralian heads.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

hey hoss, i didnt say a boss engine had 289 heads, i said you could put them on a 302 to get higer compression and adjustable lifters along with 351 valves in them a fairly enexpensive way to get a lot more horse power, and parts for them are dime a dozen,

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

If using stock heads for a small block ford the best setup is 69 or 70 351 winsdor 4 barrel heads, with a real good porting job gasket matched to a eldebrock RPM intake and 2.02 inch chevy intakes with 1.60 inch exhast set up for adjustable rockers. They will flow more air than 289 heads. The 289 heads are better than your run of the mill small block heads. But then you get back into that scaricty thing with the early 351 4 barrel heads. Ford only made a 351 winsdor with a four barrel in 69 and 70 and some truck engines. but the trucks used the same heads as a 2 barrel engine. I quess I am lucky My Dad owned a junk yard and he was a hotrodder until he died. And he only liked Fords mercurys and a few lincolns. OH YEA he had a mercedes he like pretty good to. and just one 36 chevy coupe with a 292 chevy six built to the hilt.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

either way he still doesnt have a boss engine does he? lol thanks for the comments hoss like reading your replies

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

I have a nephew who has a boss 302 in a 68 mustang; I have seen it, and it does look right (Cleavland heads) but there is a chance it is a clone, as I don't know the correct #s to look for. The Mustang is trashed from hurricane Andrew, and I feel certain he would be willing to part with the engine; its in Miami FL. e-mail me and I will get his phone # for you, if you are interested.

In any case, Good Luck! geo