Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Dennis L Oberer

Default Iola Wi Steals and Deals

Hi all..

I just got back from 2nd day at IOLA..I dont go on Saturday...too many touristas....and by Sunday the vendors are packing up.

Thursday was the best.

Not necessarily steals but here are the deals I found:

-1- Zenith 2 core suitable for rebuilding....$5

-1- Zenith 2 core suitable for rebuilding....$2

-1- complete clutch housing uncracked with decent pedals, shaft not worn past the bushings and into the housing, intact clutch lever without cracks.....$10...saw two more for $12 and didnt buy...

-1- rebuilt oval speedo...$75

-1- rebuilt Zenith 1.....$75

-1- 6volt fan for the defroster application.....$5

-2- very nice repro tail light assemblies $22 each

and found a supplier of rebuilt A engines (non insert) for $1375.00 for the short block. I saw the engine.. very nice....all the usual work list of what is included but babbited not inserted....stainless valves.....hardened inserts....reground B cam shape....etc....etc....

Dennis L Oberer
Green Bay WI
Dennis L Oberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
havi

Default Re: Iola Wi Steals and Deals

This weekend snuck up on me already, I wish I was there.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Gary WA

Is there an address for the motors? or no sharing! sounds like a good deal. thanks Gary.(www.whidbeymodelaclub.com)
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Dennis L Oberer

Well James, just so you can put me down again...for $600 more you can get the same thing from Rich Falucca except BRAND NEW rods and INSERT bearings rather than babbit.

I talked to Rich personally today and saw his work as well.

Intend disparging his work as well?

Dennis L Oberer
Green Bay WI
Old 07-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Dennis L Oberer

Oh....and a hot water heater suitable for mounting in the Tudor....$10.

I am NOT a fan of the manifold heaters......not enough heat for a sedan except it burns the soles off the passengers shoes.

Like the old VW bug manifold heaters.

Anyway...I am very happy with the hot water heater install that I did in the 30 coupe and I will now put one in the 30 tudor.

I use a Tstat and the Snyder adaptor for the upper radiator hose.....requires two 3/8 diam mounting holes in the firewall and that, to me, is a lot better than that big ugly hole that the manifold heaters require. IMHO.

Thus extending the touring/driving season here in Wisconsin so I can drive the A comfortably from March through October.

Maybe even a little Nov/Dec driving too.

Dennis L Oberer
Green Bay WI
Old 07-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Don/WI

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Sounds as if you had a good time at Iola this year Dennis. I just missed my first year at Iola since 1981. Spent the past week in the hospital in ICU. Had some bad problems but have now been released and starting on the road to recovery. I had also planned on showing my '28 CCPU at the show. Well there is always next year. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
skip
Banned

I know it's over with but...who knows? Maybe something is still not sold or hanging around. skip.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
Bruce

I walked Iola and looked in most of the nooks and crannies -- and all of the $1 piles and boxes. If a vendor had an old bent 19" wheel on the tarp or a Zenith on the table, there was a chance for that super piece at a giveaway price. I searched and searched for OEM and perfectly-preserved examples of just about anything Model A.
I do love Iola. And 2010 was extra lovable because of the weather. It was hot, but just when I started getting a little sticky, along would come a cloud to block the sun and a puff of wind. Nights were perfect sleeping weather.
So, not worrying about a tornado or monsoon, I concentrated on the swap.
I looked hard, spent some money and I had fun, but I didn't find any bragging rights deals. In fact, I saw fewer caches of Model A parts. Perhaps the hot rodders are cutting back because of the economy. And I missed some old Model A supplier friends. No Rainmaker Ron. No Stasch Mijal. Not even Bill Stipes demo'ing a pricy soup-to-nuts 80 hp engine, although someone said they saw Bill hanging around near his old spot.
I did see some deals that I really would have liked to bring home -- like a nicely redone '28 Roadster with a Tuck-A-Way Top over the rumble seat ... and a cool '62 Mercedes 190 SL. I know that's not Model A related, but at just $55,000, it was such a bargain!
Most enjoyable was talking to Will Cronkrite of Rock Hills SC. I recognized a restored chrome and butler-finished parking brake handle that looked like one I'd bought for our Victoria project. I asked him if he ever sold on eBay and when he admitted that he did, I told him that I was his customer and that I appreciated the product of his effort. Good feeling for me ... and him too, I expect.
And, apropos to this summer's longstanding "she's running hot" subject on the Barn, I talked to a classic radiator supplier who recommended that I fill the radiator with clean water and a couple cups of liquid dishwasher detergent. "Leave it in for a week or two," he said. "It can't hurt anything. Then drain it and backflush the radiator." He explained that the oily, tube-blocking grime would be at the top of the radiator, not the bottom. Makes sense. Oil floats, after all.
So I got home and I'm trying it!
That's my remote from Wisconsin.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote