Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
warren va

Smile Radiator overheating problem question

On short runs 25 or 30 miles my radiator was loosing water out the overflow and with the loss of water it was overheating. I read a thread a while back about placing a nail in the overflo tube . Since I tried this, I have made several runs, in 98 degree weather, and had no loss of water and no overheating. This has solved my problem , but are there any negative issues in doing this.
Warren
warren va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default Re: Radiator overheating problem question

just allow the radiator to SEAK its OWN level and dont keep filling it..you will be fine
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
CarlG

Also, with the nail in there, be careful when opening your radiator cap. It can build up a little pressure (not much, but enough to spray hot water all over you), especially if shut down when hot.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
sethkestenbaum

I was using a nail and lost very little coolant when using it but then felt that it DEFINATELY increased the pressure in the system. My car continues to loose coolant when I don't use the nail, so I might put it back and "clip" a few notches into the head. I figure that this will restrict the flow some, but allow the car to more readily "burp" any steam out the overflow tube.

I hope this helps.
sethkestenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Many push a short length of 3/8" ID rubber tubing onto the top of the overflow to raise its top up closer to the radiator cap. Raises the water level in the radiator a bit and helps the cooling without blocking the overflow.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
TinCup

I have tried both methods described in this post an I prefer extending the tube.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
warren va

Thanks to all who replied. I will try notching the nail head and if this doesnt work will add the short piece of hose to the overflo tube.
Thanks again
Warren
Old 07-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

The nail should not pressurize the system,as it just dances around. Use a nail with a large head, but a skinny shank. If it rusts, use a stainless or brass nail, or even a screw.
See, see, I told you it works! Claude told me about it, he said it was an ooooold fix! and he is ooooold! Bill W.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
CarlG

The jiggling stops when you stop the car (as in turn the engine off) and will pressurize the system slightly.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
The jiggling stops when you stop the car (as in turn the engine off) and will pressurize the system slightly.
A lock washer under the nail head will raise the head and allow air to escape.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
warren va

Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
jrapose

I don't care for that idea....just makes the radiator cap spit when the level gets that high... what I did was make a surge seal out of a thick piece of rubber...and pushed that into the neck of the radiator filler area...with a small hole so the overflow tube sticks thru...it allows water to exit without spitting out the cap, yet keeps the packing at high speeds from just pushing water out at high speed...works fine...I also extended the overflow tube below the car so it would not make a mess under the car.. this is my driver and I drive hard to keep from being a road hazzard....I am thinking of that hole in the water pump blades idea in the future....sure makes sense... I have tried bolting two washers together...leaving the center hole open and installing that inside my upper hose to slow down the water supplied to the upper radiatortank..worked well I think....
Joel
jrapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrapose View Post
I don't care for that idea....just makes the radiator cap spit when the level gets that high... what I did was make a surge seal out of a thick piece of rubber...and pushed that into the neck of the radiator filler area...with a small hole so the overflow tube sticks thru...it allows water to exit without spitting out the cap, yet keeps the packing at high speeds from just pushing water out at high speed...works fine... ... ....Joel
Joel,
I'm having trouble visualizing this. Could you post a picture, or more details?
Thanks.
Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
jrapose

Sure, it is a piece of 1/4" thick rubber....cut so it fits tight in the radiator filler neck, with just a hole punched so the overflow tube sticks thru....it does allow some fluid to get by and rise in the neck....but it keeps the surges from just splashing out the overflow.... prevents all the splashing in the neck..it fits tight enough in the neck so that it won't go down into the top tank... or come out when the cap is taken off...you can still move is slightly to see the actual water level... but it does not cause any pressure build up, also prevents spitting out the cap...woirks great and I made it out of a small piece of rubber mat I found in the shop trash.
jrapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Slightly is O.K,25 Lbs= BAD! Tom's lockwasher would be a fix for that!
And the Mad Inventing continues--------------Bill W.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
Duffy1

I guess using an overflow bottle is out of the question . There are a lot of folks including me in our club that use overflow bottles on our touring cars . Just a thought . If you have a pressurized system ,water over flows into bottle ,radiator cools and sucks water back in radiator . If none pressurized ,use overflow bottle to catch the water and let you know how much the radiator is spitting out so you know how much to put back in the radiator. Also keeps from blowing antifreeze all over the place if you use antifreeze .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
I guess using an overflow bottle is out of the question . There are a lot of folks including me in our club that use overflow bottles on our touring cars . Just a thought . If you have a pressurized system ,water over flows into bottle ,radiator cools and sucks water back in radiator . If none pressurized ,use overflow bottle to catch the water and let you know how much the radiator is spitting out so you know how much to put back in the radiator. Also keeps from blowing antifreeze all over the place if you use antifreeze .
Duffy,
My system is non-pressrized, I'm mounting a 2 1/2 quart cylindrical overflow bottle inside the left side of radiator shell with a hose from the bottom nipple to the overflow tube. I'll fill the radiator completely & the overflow tank, maybe 1/4 full to allow expanded radiator water to be "stored" in the overflow tank. With a leak-free radiator cap, I believe it will pull water back into the radiator as the water cools & contracts after shut off and keep the radiator full at all times, thus increasing water capacity & eliminating air space & foaming.
If it doesn't work, I will get an early Volvo expansion tank, with a 5 lb pressure cap made on it and I know that will work as I was a Volvo tech for 23 years. And what an easy & quick way to convert your "A" to a pressurized system! And quickly removeable for "showing."
The early overflow tank was invented by a mechanic for Navajo Freight Lines down in the desert. He put a clear pipe in the upper hose & found the water foamed & was the cause of overheating. With the overflow tank installed, the system was kept FULL at all times, foam & bubbles were gone & overheating was minimized. Air bubbles are a great insulator & transfer heat from the radiator POORLY! He made a lot of $$$$$ with his invention!
For either system to work requires a completely leakproof stock radiator cap.
"Ovrflow tank" is the proper term for the no-pressurized tank, and "Expansion tank" is the proper term when the tank is equipped with the proper neck & a pressure cap. Bill W.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
Duffy1

Bill ;

Thanks for the education. When I bought my car 6 months ago the seller gave me a gallon of water and said every once in a while you had to add water to the radiator . The front spring/frame was already rusting as a result of the over flowing . I checked with some gurus in my club and they suggested I install an over flow /expansion bottle . Solved the problem .
Old 07-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
Bill ;

Thanks for the education. When I bought my car 6 months ago the seller gave me a gallon of water and said every once in a while you had to add water to the radiator . The front spring/frame was already rusting as a result of the over flowing . I checked with some gurus in my club and they suggested I install an over flow /expansion bottle . Solved the problem .
Duffy,
When cooling off, did it "suck" the excess water in the tank back into the radiator? If the cap and all connections are leakproof, it should.
The great advantage of this system is to keep the radiator COMPLETELY FULL at all times thus increasing the water capacity and eliminating bubbles & foam. (FOAM is only for whipped cream & shaving POO-POO!) Bill W.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #20
Duffy1

Bill ;

Yes, it sucks the water back into the radiator . My system is leak proof ,proven by the fact that when you blow in the over flow line back towards the radiator you reach a point where the air stops moving into the system .
You can purchase these over flow /expansion bottles from any local automotive supply house . I have mine mounted next to the frame under my carburator.Some folks mount the bottle up on the fire wall next to the hood rods and run the hose along the hood rods. If your system is tight it will suck up the water from where I have it located .