Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
JM 35 Sedan

Default T5 Transmission Conversion for Early Ford V8's

An earlier post on this subject got me thinking (and that could be dangerous). Does anyone make a T5 conversion kit, that would directly replace an early 3 speed floor shift transmission, without the need to remove/cut the center of the X member? In other words this conversion would bolt to the engine via an adapter and then to the closed driveshaft, through the universal joint, without the need to modify anything else on the original drivetrain. This type of conversion seems like it would be the "cats meow" to me providing nice smooth gear shifting with an overdrive gear. Is anyone possibly working on something like this? I would never cut the frame on my cars to install a T5 but I would do a direct conversion without the need to cut anything.

Note: Maybe I should have said T5 or any other good 4/5 speed transmission with OD

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-07-2011 at 10:47 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Milt/Las Vegas

Default Re: T5 Transmission Conversion for Early Ford V8's

John for one thing the T5 is too long.The original 3 speeds are really short.You have to remove the center support from the X member which is held in by rivets to put any kind of other trans.in.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
TomT/Williamsburg

I think someone has done this with a Jeep tranny - made it fit the t-tube (HAMB thread I think - not sure of the year vehicle it might have been targeted for) but I'm not sure if the trans was a 5-speed or not.

The center of the "X" is indeed the real issue as the tailshaft of the T5 goes into this area along with a couple clearance issues if memory serves me (?). The "X"s are not really touched w/flattie-T5 combo. CE has a nice aftermarket setup for this piece and it bolts in but you have to destroy the stock center pieces to get it out (and leave the "X"s alone) so there's no "going back". Too bad there's no patterns to replicate the stock center pieces individually so modified 35-40 frames could go back to stock.

I have modified my share of frames for all types of motor and tranny combos and presently my 40 coupe and 40 p-up project are modified as is the K-member of my 32 frame (all for S10 5-speeds). But, none of these frames were in great shape and they all required repair of some kind either by me or a previous owner. If I ever owned a pristine frame however, I'm w/JM and I would never cut it. I did own one pristine frame that was bare and beautiful at one time - had it stored at a friends and it somehow had a MII installed in it for a hotrod - I nearly cried. That project has languished outside ever since (8 years or more?) and it's going no where fast!!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Jack 34pu

Several years ago, a Barner in Florida ?? did a T-5 conversion in a 34. He posted a pic showing only a small modification to the 'X' member. If you look at the 'X' member from the front, it looks like a 'U'. The bottom of the 'U' has an upper and lower portion. He removed a section of the upper sheet metal and lowered it and re welded givving a thinner section at the bottom of the 'U'. The tailshaft of the T-5 went thru and rested on a new piece of heavy flatmetal attached to the bottom of the frame web. A small rectangular Chevy trans mount was bolted to the bottom of the T-5 and to the flat piece behind the 'X' member. I've lost that post and can't seem to locate him again as I would be interested in more pics as many others would be also. I found an extra 'X' member on Ebay some years back in anticipation of the modification, keeping my original if ever I wanted to change back. I haven't got the nerve to make the change so have a 28ccpu started that will use a T-5.
Jack 34pu
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Here's a couple of links on T-5 swaps for you...

http://www.flatheadv8.org/t5-swap.htm

http://www.flatheadv8.org/ernie/ernie-t5.htm
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Teich

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
How about a 4-speed floor shift 4th gear overdrive, will bolt in not frame cutting, hooks up to torque tube, lool underneath and it looks like the three speed. Put one in my 48 works great i have 4:11's now car dream to drive. its about a 87 ford truck trans from Dave at www.modelaonly.com in California Laurie
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Jack 34pu

Do you have a estimate of cost for the 4 sp from Dave?
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Teich

It cost aprox. $3200.00 check his web site there are 4 diff. OD ratios. When i got the kit it was all there to install small bellhousing to u-joint mounts for i think up to '39. the drive shaft/tube has to be shortened 2" Dave can do this,i was lucky i could use assy. forma '39 which is 2" shorter than 48. Laurie
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

I know you didn't ask this but you can see the value of a Mitchell OD
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote