Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2024, 11:58 AM   #21
tubman

Default Re: Running ford king seeley gauges on 12 v

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
I don't believe it. Gauges might work on 12v. but probably with no accuracy.

Maybe (I don't know) the pulsing sender is not affected by voltage. But I believe needle movement in the gauge works on amps, and 12V will push twice as many amps thru the 6V gauge. So, no accuracy.
Shouldn't that be half as many amps?

I am not sure about the accuracy either, but it may be the way it works. I hope someone does the test suggested above.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:59 AM   #22
19Fordy

My experience has been that operating stock 6V KS gauges on 12V (not reduced to 6V)
will ruin the gauges. That's why a voltage reducer is needed.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 09:51 PM   #23
38 coupe

I used the attached pdf and made my own 12V to 6V regulator for the gauges in my 53 sedan. It has been working well for a decade of driving and 30k miles.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12V to 6V DIY regulator.pdf (208.1 KB, 12 views)
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:11 AM   #24
19Fordy

Steve: Thanks for sharing your PDF and knowledge. Very informative and helpful.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:26 PM   #25
deucemac

I have been doing the gauge thing for more years than I care to remember. All Ford factory gouges, and I mean ALL, except for charge/battery condition gauges are 6 volt until 1986. I worked most of my life if Ford dealers. Not to mention my passion for old Fords that started in ernest when I bought my first car, a 48 Ford couple in 1962 at the age of 14.in 1986 Ford went to the GM style magnetic gauges and we had terrible headaches with them at first. Up to that time. Ford used 6 volt King Selley gauges and à cluster voltage regulator that supplied pulsed 6 volts to the gauges. I have many times taken a later gauge and by swapping faces and needles, installed it in a 40's model Ford without problems or inaccuracies. King Seeley gauges do not work on voltage, but rather a heated bi-metal strip between the needle and contacts on the gauge. The exact same system was used on the 6 volt systems until 1985, 3xcept when they experimented and failed using direct 12 volt gauges. By using the cluster or instrument voltage regulator they kept the 6 volt system working quite well. I worked tune up, a/c, and electrical in Ford dealers from the early 70s through the 90s. Mostly in that capacity. Plus the time spent working on my and friends/side work customer's cars. In an unbelievable moment of lack of wisdom,Ford decided that they would follow in GMs footsteps and ended up with a disaster in 1986. I hope that I have adequately explained the King Seeley gauge history and operations.
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:10 PM   #26
GB SISSON

So Duecemac, If you were to run an old 6v ford vehicle on 12v today, what would YOU buy to adapt the instruments and get them reliable and accurate? Source? Part #? Thanks
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote