Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2022, 06:22 AM   #161
PeteVS

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Your "salting things away" is paying large dividends to you. The only thing I ever salted away was an old '63 C**** coupe in 1970. That worked out kind of well for me several years later.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:42 PM   #162
GB SISSON

Ya Pete, it works out well for me. A couiple of Christmas's back my wife gave me a little clip on book light. I stuck it into some of the gas tanks for a look see. One of the four was at lest ten lbs heavier. It was sealed all around with a black coating which resembled tar. It was also the best looking on the exterior. This may have been an early tank coating, but with the new ethenol gas, why risk it. The one I plan to use I may still put on a slow rotisserie with some hardened screws or something for abrasive this weekend. Also been playing with some seriously flat green acrylic paint. Truck has one door somebody stripped back to it's original black. I have a green door in good shape, but the current door is straighter, has matching key to ignition and an excellent black interior and great glass. I bought the chalky paint in an antique green and whadya know it is a very good match. It claims to be interior paint but 4 days ago I painted an old steel door panel, let dry overnight and placed it at the bottom of a mud puddle in front of the shop. As of noon today it is plenty solid, no softening or lifting. I then swatched some on one of my old sweatshirts and the washer and dryer should tell a tale. Certainly not for everybody, but Sugarmaker, they make a couple of blues. Mix and match if needed, but mine as shown is straight from the jar..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chalk paint 1.jpg (77.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg chalk paint 2.jpg (98.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg chalk paint 3.jpg (91.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg chalk paint 4.jpg (44.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg chalk paint 5.jpg (88.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg four gas tanks.jpg (139.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg good gas tank1.jpg (99.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg good gas tank 2.jpg (140.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg good gas tank 3.jpg (116.5 KB, 24 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-03-2022 at 11:16 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:07 PM   #163
GB SISSON

I think this pic was shown earlier in this thread, but this is the black door I am going to paint on Saturday. It's pretty common to have one bad panel on an otherwise original car that you don't want to restore. What to do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tonner haul Columbia River.jpg (54.7 KB, 217 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-04-2022, 05:05 AM   #164
flatford8

When I put my “good eye” to that paint, it looks pretty damn close!.......love the way you do things.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:12 AM   #165
38 coupe

I'm waiting for your happy driving report after you drive around the island with that 6 cylinder power. I expect you will be sold on H series engines, super easy maintenance.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 11:54 PM   #166
GB SISSON

After work tonight I got that H engine PURRING in the truck chassis. At first it was running on five... Pulled some wires, it was #4... Found a less sooty plug in a drawer labled 'spark plugs'. After that, like silk. I will get a video tomorrow. Maybe even go to napa and get new plugs.... Nah. Might do some serious driving tomorrow, supposed to be nice out. My rad hoses are total adapt stuff with a bunch of pipe fittings spliced in and I have a bad drip so have to address that first thing. So tomorrow, Saturday starts off the weekend and I need to get the seat good enough to drive on. I bought some gorrilla tape and my wife says we have some foam to tuck under the naugahyde where the mice stole all the stuffing to make their nest last winter. The outboard motor tank in the 'bed' got 5 more gallons on our way home tonight. Don't get much better than that. Did I mention my straight pipe is a 10' section of 2" galvanized downspout from the hardware store? It rests on thev rear axle.... Without a clamp it should go up and down with the 'suspension' ...Not to worry... I already ordered a length of real store bought exhaust tubing and a nice truck and bus muffler.

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-05-2022 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:03 AM   #167
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I think this pic was shown earlier in this thread, but this is the black door I am going to paint on Saturday. It's pretty common to have one bad panel on an otherwise original car that you don't want to restore. What to do?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:54 PM   #168
sugarmaker

Gary,
That paint looks perfect! You nailed it even the edge of the door and the black showing through the paint! Got any faded Washington blue in case I do my door?? You are riding high for sure! Your making great strides on your winter truck project. Very nice documentation. Is that a brush on paint??
I will google it.
I did and it said for interior use only. But not sure it would not work on a old truck door and provide many years of service? Sure looks like it could get close. You planning to brush this on?
I found several blues 36338 and 36332 That may be close? Humm? may order one of each of these? Hard to tell in a bottle what its going to look like in the truck. Did you buy these at Wally World?

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 02-05-2022 at 07:21 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:42 PM   #169
GB SISSON

Bought on amazon. I am working on some 'hybrid' paint jobs with rustoleum satin finishes underneath and a dusting of the chalk paint over. Either way, your old Washinton Blue wont hold up in the weather either. That's why God created the shed.....
Old 02-06-2022, 12:53 PM   #170
GB SISSON

Drove outa the shop yesterday. Still only has front brakes, but stops fine. I found some 2x10s for temporary running boards. It was tough climbing in and out. All systems work as they should, but haven't been outa second gear yet.. Seems Washington didn't issue a license plate in '46 so they used the 45 plate for 2 years. I am going to buy a '45 plate on Ebay today so I can hit the road.
Today it's re-stuffing the seat with some foam rubber and a U-Haul style moving blanket I bought yesterday at 'The Exchange' which is a volunteer run junk store alongside the dump. If you have some good stuff in your dump run you can donate there and keep it out of the landfill. Gonna slit the black vinyl around the back and attempt the stuffing and then use flex-tape (as seen on tv) to repair. The stuff is really sticky and a tough rubber with peel off backing. Will clean the area with laquer thinner first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big green gets out 1.jpg (166.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg Big Green gets out 2.jpg (149.2 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Big Green gets out 3.jpg (123.1 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Big Green gets out 4.jpg (180.5 KB, 175 views)
Old 02-06-2022, 01:47 PM   #171
sidevalve8ba

GB,
Are those recaps on the front? They sure look like a cold cap we used to sell for a company I used to work for ages ago.

Ted
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:23 PM   #172
Mart

Love it.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:09 PM   #173
flatford8

Like I said.....” I love how you do things” ......my drink is all mixed...I’m ready for the video of our first ride.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:18 PM   #174
sugarmaker

Gary,
I am going to get the popcorn! Great stuff. Hey are those running boards treated? Love my shed too! I had the same thought. If it needs more paint put it on!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-06-2022, 05:11 PM   #175
petehoovie

Drove outa the shop yesterday. Still only has front brakes, but stops fine. I found some 2x10s for temporary running boards. It was tough climbing in and out. All systems work as they should, but haven't been outa second gear yet.. Seems Washington didn't issue a license plate in '46 so they used the 45 plate for 2 years. I am going to buy a '45 plate on Ebay today so I can hit the road.
Today it's re-stuffing the seat with some foam rubber and a U-Haul style moving blanket I bought yesterday at 'The Exchange' which is a volunteer run junk store alongside the dump. If you have some good stuff in your dump run you can donate there and keep it out of the landfill. Gonna slit the black vinyl around the back and attempt the stuffing and then use flex-tape (as seen on tv) to repair. The stuff is really sticky and a tough rubber with peel off backing. Will clean the area with laquer thinner first.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 02-06-2022, 08:00 PM   #176
GB SISSON

Yes the michelins are recaps... We called them 'Bandags' back in the day. They were Legit, but just the tread without sidewall rubber.. My red tonner has a set of new 'store bought' michelin 7.50 x 17 radials. They are 350.00 apiece but I bought them from a logger who's boss couldn't pay him so he gave him a motorhome. In the motorhome were six of these new tires. Unfortrunately he had already sold 4 of them for a Benjamin apiece, Woulda loved all six.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:33 PM   #177
GB SISSON

All the stuff from the dump fit into the seat. I am still working on the seat back and have a few things to do with the gas tank before this phase is complete. Then pull the box and work on the back end. I filled up the cotton batting that was missing with parts of the uhaul pad and then topped off with the 1" foam camping pad. Carefully stuffed under the naugahyde and them stapled onto the funny steel tack rail around the seat base. I'm gonna say this tack rail is tightly woven horse hair crimped into a u shaped channel such as will hold a carpet tack and later re upholstery jobs like mine , the third, holds a staple. Yo re-use the naugahyde I stapled the pereimeter over the top of a string of electrical wire. In othger words , instead of shooting the staples directly into the naugahyde, I ran a string of lamp cord auound the perimeter and bridged the staples witrh my pnuematic stapler using 1/2" staples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oscar seat.jpg (136.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Seat stuffed.jpg (113.4 KB, 161 views)
Old 02-06-2022, 09:45 PM   #178
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
All the stuff from the dump fit into the seat. I am still working on the seat back and have a few things to do with the gas tank before this phase is complete. Then pull the box and work on the back end. I filled up the cotton batting that was missing with parts of the uhaul pad and then topped off with the 1" foam camping pad. Carefully stuffed under the naugahyde and them stapled onto the funny steel tack rail around the seat base. I'm gonna say this tack rail is tightly woven horse hair crimped into a u shaped channel such as will hold a carpet tack and later re upholstery jobs like mine , the third, holds a staple. Yo re-use the naugahyde I stapled the pereimeter over the top of a string of electrical wire. In othger words , instead of shooting the staples directly into the naugahyde, I ran a string of lamp cord auound the perimeter and bridged the staples witrh my pnuematic stapler using 1/2" staples.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:28 PM   #179
GB SISSON

Thanks Pete, you are a gentleman and a scholar!
Old 02-07-2022, 05:24 PM   #180
sugarmaker

Gary,
The seat look perfect! Hope it feels as good as it looks! Seats are a priority with me too!
Nice work. The results look amazing like original!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 02-09-2022 at 03:49 PM.