Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-25-2020, 10:45 PM   #21
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: Edelbrock 500 for 292?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
The Edelbrock is a great carb for the street. Its only downfall is it is prone to boiling the gas in the bowl in very hot weather, after shut down. Fit as big a spacer under it that you can and still close the hood on the air cleaner.
I had the same experience with Edelbrock and documented the problems on my blog (my personal website) complete with videos, pictures, and all the rest. I switched to a Holley and never looked back. The Edelbrock did perform well while I used it but the main issue was heat retention - even with a 1" phenolic spacer.

One of the posts is located here: https://www.hotrodreverend.com/post/...rock-to-holley but if you root around my site a bit there are more...
Old 12-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #22
robib

What does a vacuum secondary WCFB look like? Is there a diaphragm? I have never seen one.
robib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #23
scicala

Here is an EBAY auction with a '56 Mercury WCFB with vacuum secondrie's. I believe Chrysler use some in the mid 50' too.
There was also a Carter AFB in '57 and '58 with the same vacuum secondarie's used on the 312 and 352 engines.

Sal

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REBUILT-Car...BczIz0&vxp=mtr
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:55 PM   #24
packrat5
BANNED

You know, it would help to provide the number of the WCFB carb. At least then, a better decision could be made. Some of them are worth money, depending on the condition. WCFB carbs can be successfully rebuilt just like all other carbs. Parts however if needed are another story. And yes, all the adjustments must be done, as on all carbs that are rebuilt. They are very important, and never spot-on as is.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:03 AM   #25
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
"Probably a better choice the electric choke models are leaner in the primaries than the manual choke models,I have had members in my Ford Group change to the electric choke metering rods to cure a rich idle.
JeffB2 is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message"

There shouldn't be any difference as far as being too rich on the primaries with the manual choke models, especially with a rich idle. The idle system is a separate thing, and if the idle can't be adjusted leaner with the mixture screws, then the fuel level is way too high, from either the float being set too high, or the fuel valve leaking.

Sal
Edelbrocks are also picky about fuel pressure it should not exceed 5 psi.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #26
scicala

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat5 View Post
You know, it would help to provide the number of the WCFB carb. At least then, a better decision could be made. Some of them are worth money, depending on the condition. WCFB carbs can be successfully rebuilt just like all other carbs. Parts however if needed are another story. And yes, all the adjustments must be done, as on all carbs that are rebuilt. They are very important, and never spot-on as is.
"

The problem with WCFB's is that they don't have the part number stamped in the casting like the Carter AFB's doo. They had a brass tag, that is missing most of the time.
It's more than likely # 2361 ('56 Mercury) or '57 Lincoln # 2404.

Sal
Old 12-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #27
packrat5
BANNED

I agree on that, the tags are often gone. However, with some detective work, you can narrow it down pretty close. The type and shape of the base, the shape of the accel arm, the casting #s on the air horn and main body, and there are other certain add-ons to the outside of the carb that are specific to a certain car.
And as for fuel pump pressure, ALL carbs are sensitive to excess pressure. All you need is enough pressure to keep the bowl full under normal operating conditions. Many carb and driveability problems can be traced back to excess pressure. (Not what kind of carb you are using, ever hear that said before?)
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #28
scicala

Yes, I have an old Carter Bible with all the carb numbers, part numbers and specs, so I've identified carb numbers by the calibration and certain outside parts. I've done the same with old Rochester carbs before they stamped the part numbers and used brass tags.

Sal