Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2014, 04:54 AM   #1
47Merc

Default ID this manifold

My mate recently bought this 99A engine and it has an inlet manifold on it that I have never seen before.

It appears to be some sort of vacum pipe to suck the fumes from the motor like a PCV sytem. Is that what it is and what vehicle do you think would have used this type of engine? Boat, Bren gun carrier, Truck???

Is it worthwhile running it in a car?

The Manifold number is C11A-6520-02
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 wals 99a.jpg (45.6 KB, 140 views)
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
28A

Default Re: ID this manifold

I found a manifold exactly like this at a swap meet over this side of the world last year, have had it hanging up ever since but decided to put it on my 21 stud engine to cover the open valley area. I too thought it was some early form of PCV system. How well it works, couldn't tell ya.
28A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
Walt Dupont--Me.

I have a few of those truck manifolds in my barn, the vacuum port just under the carb is used for vacuum brakes here in the US, It looks like Canada used it for a PCV, I like it. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
RalphG

I recall seeing something similar on my 46 truck manifold. I was never sure what it did and think it had a plug cap on the end of the line.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The big iron vertical thing at rear is a Canadian (I think 1943-up) wartime PCV. New one to me, the bits I have mount it under front of carb and draw from area over block vent in front. Note the the manifold is made to be able to fit 4 bolt carbs, I think to allow interchange into English built engines. I think it lived in something without vacuum assist brakes, as it uses the truck port for that...Bren carrier would make sense. The one I have the most parts from draws its vac from a plate under carb, presumably to reserve rear port for a brake booster as in a truck or artillery tractor.
It probably can be kept in use as an engine durability improvement...everything in the valve is indestructible iron that would need only a good cleaning to function as intended. The PCV system is likely restricted to its proper flow rate by the 2 little holes connecting the big port to the manifold passages.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
scrapiron

Once there was talk,(here I think), about military, maybe only tactical type, not having the vent at the pan edge because of a water problem when fording creeks and such. PCV's had been around a long time before it became "P-C" in the '60's..
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Pans for the Canadian PCV engines came two ways that I have heard of...some have the normal vent bulge on pan rail but with no opening, others were made with just a flat surface on pan rail blocking off the vent hole in block. The engines also had a big oil bath filter in place of the small mesh one on the oil filler vent inlet at back of manifold...I actually found one of those at Hershey this fall.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote