Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2022, 05:23 PM   #1
DavidG

Default How about a little discipline applied to misinformation in the swap meet section?

Shouldn't there be a litmus test for those who advertise in the swap meet section? When is misinformation deliberate in order to deceive or just a display of blatant ignorance? There's a good example in the current ads.

If Brookville does not offer an original type floor for its '32 deluxe coupe reproduction body, how can an original body with a standard coupe/roadster Brookville reproduction floor be accurately described as a "perfect body" when it is hopelessly flawed by having the wrong floor?

Last edited by DavidG; 08-28-2022 at 04:29 AM. Reason: clarification
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:35 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: How about a little discipline applied to misinformation in the swap meet section?

David G:

Maybe they meant to say an original body with a "perfect Brookville reproduction floor."
Buyers have to ask very pertinent questions to seek the truth.
I have noticed that many folks these days have weak speaking and written communication skills.

It's like saying, "1940 Ford for sale with all original Ford parts." But, what they are not telling the buyer is that all the parts may not be 1940 Ford original parts.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-27-2022 at 05:40 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:51 PM   #3
DavidG

Default Re: How about a little discipline applied to misinformation in the swap meet section?

It seems to be another form of a pandemic.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:05 AM   #4
Fred A

I have been disappointed with the changes in the Swap Meet section. Earlier, a ridiculous or misleading claim in a listing could be subject to a comment to the contrary. I don't know how fraudulent claims can now be dealt. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 07:44 AM   #5
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
I have been disappointed with the changes in the Swap Meet section. Earlier, a ridiculous or misleading claim in a listing could be subject to a comment to the contrary. I don't know how fraudulent claims can now be dealt. Good Luck: Fred A

Use the :Report" button on the lower left of the post.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:04 AM   #6
19Fordy

It is imperative that you always call and speak with the person selling the part.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:34 PM   #7
Carl

.. whats funny to me now days is that a lot of parts vendors call their new parts "NOS" which to me always meant new old stock genuine Ford parts as found in a Ford dealer.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:06 PM   #8
Jack E/NJ

Nothing's perfect. So close enough works for me. 8^)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #9
ford38v8

What is often assumed to be NOS may actually be defective parts stashed in some Dealership's loft until discovered when that Dealership closed its doors for good. Some of these may have been Assembly Line rejects (seconds), packaged and sold to Dealers. These parts may be serviceable, but require some TLC, and therefore are incorrectly identified as NOS.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:07 AM   #10
neilp

[QUOTE=DavidG;2160967]Shouldn't there be a litmus test for those who advertise in the swap meet section? When is misinformation deliberate in order to deceive or just a display of blatant ignorance? There's a good example in the current ads.

If Brookville does not offer an original type floor for its '32 deluxe coupe reproduction body, how can an original body with a standard coupe/roadster Brookville reproduction floor be accurately described as a "perfect body" when it is hopelessly flawed by having the wrong floor?[/QUOTE

David,
Are these Ads not blatantly obvious to the astute 32 buyer? If not then they should not be playing with 32 Ford cars. Perhaps you should contact the seller and educate them at your time and expense (full time job perhaps). Or perhaps when the 32 Ad includes Brookville then is it not obvious that things are not original? If I am spending 32 Ford money I would think I would know the difference.

I think the bigger problem in the Sale/Swap Section is the scammers in the Wanted section with zero or 1 postings sniping every posting. I would think the admin could fix this by limiting the responders to want ads to people with XXN postings.

Patrick

Last edited by neilp; 08-29-2022 at 12:16 AM.
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:19 AM   #11
Tinker

Caveat Emptor

Always will be.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:12 AM   #12
Fred A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Use the :Report" button on the lower left of the post.
Easy for you perhaps, but issues of fraud should be approached carefully as I am often mistaken. The subtlety of the claim may be shrouded in buzz words like NOS and original. This can be much better than dropping the hammer in a report. Since I received a warning from Ryan, my attention to cautious wording has become more aware since my reference to a Barner from Waco, Texas as a Waco guy can be mistaken as a Wacko. I don't support the Grand Inquisitor concept, otherwise benign cleverness would be condemned as drama. Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 05:31 AM   #13
DavidG

Neilp,

I agree regarding astute buyers, but how about those that are new or relatively new to the hobby that are seeking one of what the seller is offering? Yes, there is caveat emptor, but even that requires some knowledge of what to be wary of.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:36 AM   #14
Bob NH

NOS could also mean "nice old stuff" !
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:24 AM   #15
ronn

Nothing's perfect. So close enough works for me. 8^)

x2

why complain? not everyone is up to snuff on knowing everything.......
that is how "deals" are made
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote