Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
SR Pieper

Default Flat head temp sender/switch

I am trying to solve why my temp gauge reads 'cold' even though the engine is warm (not overheating). I have read the posts educating me on the two senders (8BA) that are on the heads but I don't understand if the wire connecting them together is sensitive to what post (long one vs, short one) on the sender that has two terminals. Looking at the systematic drawings of the two, by my guess, it is important the way the wire is hooked up. If it is important, what goes where ? Thanks
SR Pieper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Flat head temp sender/switch

The sender with two terminals is just an on/off switch which is normally closed. The sender with one terminal varies with the temperature. The wiring is from the gauge in the dash to the two terminral sender and then to the one terminal sender. There are a number of past threads that go into detail on testing the gauge and the system. Which terminal on the two terminal sender is not going to matter, but why not connect it as shown in the diagram?

A Cold reading would indicate a short to ground somewhere and Hot would indicate an open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temp Gauge & Sender.jpg (45.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 04-26-2020 at 09:27 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
JayChicago

I think it's just a normally closed switch opened by high temperature . Doesn't matter which way a switch is wired. I think problem is elsewhere.

When you say "gauge reads cold", do you mean the needle doesn't move off the bottom? Or do you mean its in the lower range of the scale?
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
When you say "gauge reads cold", do you mean the needle doesn't move off the bottom? Or do you mean its in the lower range of the scale?
Good point!
Old 04-26-2020, 11:05 PM   #5
SR Pieper

Thanks for your quick reply. With the engine cold and the ignition is on, the needle is pointing to the 'C' (where it should be). After driving the car for 15-20 minutes, the needle goes off the scale (beyond) the 'C' side. The needle is supposed to move towards the 'H' side. Things are backward so that's why I thought I had the wires crossed at the sender(switch). Should I switch the wires at the gauge?
SR Pieper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:27 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Have you checked the engine temperature so you know what it really is? An IR heat gun is good for this. If you do a search you can see how to check the gauge with "D" cell batteries.

Also, what year vehicle/engine are you working with?

Last edited by JSeery; 04-26-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:13 AM   #7
flatheadmurre

Unhook the one terminal sender and turn the ignition on...if meter goes to high and stays there...sender needs attention.
Still on cold...unhook wireharness cable from 2 terminal switch...if meter goes to high you have a short in this or wire to one terminal sender...otherwise you have a short in the wiring harness.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote