Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2016, 06:25 AM   #1
mrbill440

Default New 94 carbs any good?

I'm tired fighting the carb on my 53 f100. Linkage is worn, some screw threads are stripped out, idle is erratic, can't keep it adjusted etc. I've rebuilt it twice and it seems to run good for a short time, then becomes erratic. Also the accelerator pump linkage has a catch in it because of being worn. I've been eyeing the new replacement 94 pumps at Mac's, Dennis Carpenter etc. Are they any good? I'm looking for some feedback from those who have used one. Thanks
mrbill440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #2
chap52

Default Re: New 94 carbs any good?

I would send it to "CharlieNY" on this site he may be able to resurrect it. Quality work, fair price, and he will tell you if it is ready for the scrap pile. I believe he may be on vacation this week, but it's worth the wait.
Put your location in your info, may be a "flatheadder" in your neighborhood. Welcome aboard.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
Pat/Ohio

I did the "Black Hills Tour" with the EFV-8 Club last fall with my '50. I carried a new Dennis Carpenter 94 as a spare. When my original 94 started hesitating, I installed the Carpenter unit and it ran great right out of the box. Very little adjustment required ....if any. I still have it on the '50 and it runs great! I will have Charlie check out the original sometime though.

Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
RKS.PA

Agree with Chap52. If anybody can bring back that carb, it's CharlieNY. He did mine and it was a mess, needed helicoils for some of the threads etc. Came back good as new and price was very fair.

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
Joe Immler

To answer the original question: I bought a new carb from Dennis Carpenter and it has been on my car for 3 years. No problems.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
jim1920

I bought 2 from Dennis. One for my '37 and one for my '35. Put them on right out of the box and haven't had to touch them since. I got tired of trying to rebuild old wornout carbs.
jim1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #7
RKS.PA

Yes, that was the original question, but the difference in price between a new carb and having your old one rebuilt is not chicken feed.

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:34 AM   #8
mrbill440

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll try one, don't want to be down while waiting on a rebuild. Not sure if the main jets are the right size, if not maybe they'll interchange. My failing memory thinks my carb has 51's and the new carb comes with 50's. I may be wrong though.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
TStiles

I finally gave up after a couple of rebuilds by quality folks and purchased a 94 from Dennis Carpenter. They pre-test every carb on a flathead motor. My engine ran great with almost no adjustments and the carb has provided flawless performance for over a year now.. Highly recommended.
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #10
35fordtn

I have used Many Carpenter carburetors and they are perfect right out of the box.. However way more expensive than a rebuild.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #11
mrbill440

I ordered one.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
I finally gave up after a couple of rebuilds by quality folks and purchased a 94 from Dennis Carpenter. They pre-test every carb on a flathead motor. My engine ran great with almost no adjustments and the carb has provided flawless performance for over a year now.. Highly recommended.
I was going to mention the same thing about every new carburator getting tested on an 8ba test engine at Carpenters..
I was in Charlotte/Concord last year for the EFV-8 Club's Eastern Nat. Meet and did the complete tour through Dennis Carpenters manufacturing facility. Saw the assembly line for his 94's, and watched the test/run in of a couple new 94's. I asked the technician about the ones that don't pass the test, and he said the ones that don't make it through the test are torn down to determine what's wrong, repaired and sent back for re-test.
I would not hesitate to buy one of these new 94's if I wanted to start brand new, nor would I hesitate to have an original core 94 brought back to good working condition by one of the several well known rebuilders.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #13
Jeff/Illinois

Charlie NY rebuilt our fuel pump on the '36,,,, very happy with it did a nice job.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #14
mrbill440

Good info, thanks. Can't wait to get it.