Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Special Coupe Frank

Default Oil consumption with A in good condition ?

I realize not everyone here rack-up a lot of miles on their A's, or religiously track oil consumption/mileage, but for those who do...

With a Model A (engine) in rebuilt / good condition, what is considered reasonable oil consumption ?

Ideally looking for info on stock A's (Babbit, splash-oil, no modern seals, etc.)

For those who respond, please include some data about your engine, what type / weight oil you're using, type of driving, any mods to engine...

Until getting my well-used '28 Coupe, my experience has been with Post-WW II antiques, where oil consumption of 1 qt /1,000 miles or above is considered good to excellent...

Wondering what is a reasonable expectation for a Model A in decent condition, with modern oils, etc.

Thanks !

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Oil consumption with A in good condition ?

The stock engine in my car was put together with used rings, if I change oil at 1000 miles it is still above add, if I wait to change oil till it gets to add it is close to 2000 miles.----probably it leaks more than it burns, at 25 years since it was last apart the gaskets seep some more now than when it was first put together.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Aerocraft

I change the oil in my Model A's at 1000 miles or one year and do not add any during the interval. I have two cars that have Egge pistons with small block Chevy narrow piston rings. Those engines still have very clean oil at the oil change. I have run these two as much as 2000 miles during trips and have not had to add any oil during the trip. The other two engines have "stock" aftermarket rings and the oil is darker at 1000 miles although I have not had to add any oil even if I go to 1500 miles between changes. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Dave in MN

I have a stock engine in my '28 pickup that will go 1000 miles with 1/4 quart. I change oil in this vehicle every 1000 miles or at the end of the driving season if I don't reach 1000miles. I use an air filter on ths pickup and rarely drive on gravel roads. The oil is still clear at 1000 miles.
My '29 Phaeton has standard slinger, gravity mains and dipper rods. The engine has a new counterweighted crankshaft with inserts and full flow oil filter. The pistons are 283 chevy with narrow rings. It uses no noticeable oil in 2000 miles.

Last edited by Dave in MN; 08-24-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Will N

The recommended oil change interval is 500 miles. If you're running stock without an oil filter, you should keep to that. In 500 miles, you shouldn't need to add any oil on a good engine.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
johnbuckley

Stock engine, now 30,000 miles old. Uses about a pint per 1000 miles. I generally drive it pretty sedately. If I drive it faster than normal it uses more oil. I change the oil every 1500 mile or so.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
The recommended oil change interval is 500 miles. If you're running stock without an oil filter, you should keep to that. In 500 miles, you shouldn't need to add any oil on a good engine.
Where did you get information from Will? Sounds unnecessarily frequent. The only contemporary details I've got are from a 1930s Castrol lubrication chart which advise 1000 mile intervals.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Will N

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Where did you get information from Will? Sounds unnecessarily frequent. The only contemporary details I've got are from a 1930s Castrol lubrication chart which advise 1000 mile intervals.
Page 14 of the original owners manual, under "Draining the Oil Pan". See scan below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model a oil change.jpg (106.1 KB, 27 views)
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
Page 14 of the original owners manual, under "Draining the Oil Pan". See scan below.
That was with primarily dirt roads and oils that were substandard compared to today's standards.1000 Miles would be fairly frequent with today's oils and paved roads. I probably put 500-1000 miles on my Cabriolet and use no noticeable amount of oil between changes and I run my car pretty hard.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
V4F

do a compression test .
Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
JtownJoe

I'm using synthetic oil & change it about every 1000 to 1500 mi. I am using an air filter so it stays fairly clean between changes & usually don't need to add oil, it seems to do better on leaking if kept about i/4" below line on dip stick.
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote