Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2016, 11:30 PM   #1
Ed

Default Flywheel

I am going to have to replace the clutch in my 29 CCPU.

I am looking for the measurement or dimension between the face of the flywheel and the lip of the flywheel where the pressure plate mounts.

Thanks for your help.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:34 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Flywheel

If the vendors all sell clutch's for the A, I'm wondering what you have in mind that you need the measurement. As this is not an answer to your question you do not have to answer it. I'm just wondering as many have replaced theirs and I don't remember having never seen this question before.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:55 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I recall 1.123" being mentioned.

I'd try a search for "flywheel measurement".
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:09 AM   #4
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

Doesn't being "short or long" only affect the point where the clutch pedal engages the clutch plate to the Flywheel friction surface?
Old 01-31-2016, 12:18 AM   #5
redmodelt

If the face of the flywheel is ground then the recessed lip where the clutch pressure plate sits must be faced the same amount to maintain the proper distance between the two. It's just one of those things that are part and parcel to the Model A.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:19 AM   #6
Ed

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The reason I am asking. is to make sure this measurement is accurate when I have my flywheel resurfaced. I have no idea how many times this flywheel has been resurfaced in the past. Also the clutch face and the pressure plate mating surface are supposed to be resurfaced in equal increments.

This measurement will allow the machinist to remove the proper amount of material from the pressure plate mounting surface to bring the "depth"back to the original specifications.

Last edited by Ed; 01-31-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:29 AM   #7
Ed

Quote:

The search revealed the measurement you provided. (1.123) However, it also provided another measurement as well.

I agree with your measurement since it is also the one I recall from memory. I also consider Tom Endy to be a reliable source of information. (His post contained the 1.123 measurement as well)
Old 01-31-2016, 12:36 AM   #8
Phil Brown

just checked a good working used one that just came out and a freshly resurfaced one both are 1.123
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:37 AM   #9
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
Doesn't being "short or long" only affect the point where the clutch pedal engages the clutch plate to the Flywheel friction surface?
If this measurement is too "deep" the clutch will not engage until the clutch pedal is completely released. This is what I have now with a badly worn clutch disc. If I put the clutch together this way I would have very little room for wear.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:39 AM   #10
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brown View Post
just checked a good working used one that just came out and a freshly resurfaced one both are 1.123
Thank you for confirming this measurement for me. Your help is appreciated.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:11 AM   #11
Brian T

Only remove enough to clean up the face then make sure the springs on the disc are not rubbing on the flywheel bolts.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:23 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
The reason I am asking. is to make sure this measurement is accurate when I have my flywheel resurfaced. I have no idea how many times this flywheel has been resurfaced in the past. Also the clutch face and the pressure plate mating surface are supposed to be resurfaced in equal increments.

This measurement will allow the machinist to remove the proper amount of material from the pressure plate mounting surface to bring the "depth"back to the original specifications.
Thanks, now I understand!
Old 01-31-2016, 03:57 AM   #13
Tom Endy

If you are going to have the surface of the flywheel machined, asked the machinist to take a cut on the lip where the pressure plate mounts to restore a dimension of 1.123. It has always worked for me.

You should also be concerned about how much has been machined off the face of the flywheel over the years as it could put the clutch disk close to the four bolts that mount the flywheel. You can grind some material off the head of the bolts if it is close.

What I do when installing a clutch is to coat the head of the four bolts with chalk, then set the clutch disk in place and rotate it to see if any of the chalk came off on the springs in the clutch disk.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:38 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

As the clutch material wears off, the center of the clutch will move closer to the flywheel mounting bolts, so you also have to allow for this.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:10 AM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
As the clutch material wears off, the center of the clutch will move closer to the flywheel mounting bolts, so you also have to allow for this.
GOOD INFORMATION Also important, DON'T flip the disc the wrong way, it WON'T release & will scrape & grind!!!!
Bill W.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:20 AM   #16
Pinesdune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
GOOD INFORMATION Also important, DON'T flip the disc the wrong way, it WON'T release & will scrape & grind!!!!
Bill W.
lol, when I took a Farm Mech course at college, we installed the disk backwards in a 90hp 4030JD, I was glad I made sure to hook up the kill cable before we started her up, I had 10 feet before the next tractor

Quick qestion on the clutch, at what point or measurement can you no longer use the flywheel? There will be a point that so much matterial will have been wore/cut from the flywheel that it will affect pedal movment, clutch disengagment, just generally wont work anymore, isn't there?
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #17
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
If you are going to have the surface of the flywheel machined, asked the machinist to take a cut on the lip where the pressure plate mounts to restore a dimension of 1.123. It has always worked for me.

You should also be concerned about how much has been machined off the face of the flywheel over the years as it could put the clutch disk close to the four bolts that mount the flywheel. You can grind some material off the head of the bolts if it is close.

What I do when installing a clutch is to coat the head of the four bolts with chalk, then set the clutch disk in place and rotate it to see if any of the chalk came off on the springs in the clutch disk.

Tom Endy

After doing a search I came across one of your previous post relating to this measurement. A measurement of .451-.465 was considered close to the original thickness.

Assuming this measurement is the thickest you would expect to find, were you able to determine a minimum thickness measurement?

Ed Gross