Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2020, 10:37 PM   #1
trentclark

Default 8BA doesnt have power

Hey guys. just starting to get my 47 pickup on the road with the newly rebuilt 8BA. It has the ford 94 carb rebuilt, edelbrock elect fuel pump, stock dizzy w vac advance, stock 8BA heads, headers to cherry bombs, standard 3 speed. its 12 volt neg ground.

I spent a lot of time on the road getting it to run smoothly. kept adjusting the timing and fuel mixture. timing at 475rpm is 4 deg btdc. had to restab the dizzy one tooth counter clockwise to get to 4 btdc but the vacuum advance is against the water neck and cannot back counter clockwise any more. if I have it one tooth clockwise, it almost is on a belt. carb mixture is about 1.5 turns open. sounds great at idle but when I need power to get up a hill it really struggles. it doesn't backfire or die but just doesn't have the pop to get up the hill. If i'm on a flat to downhill road i can hit 45 in 3rd. If im going the other way on a slight incline i cannot get past 30 in 3rd.

any ideas of what I am doing wrong. any help is appreciated. God Bless
trentclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #2
Tinker

Default Re: 8BA doesnt have power

Look at a mechanical advance dizzy. Bubba/charlie/etc ...all here. less worries. It will be a lot of little things that add up to overall power.

Last edited by Tinker; 01-06-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:56 PM   #3
cadillac512

If you watch the timing marks (using a timing light) at idle, then speed the engine up to 2000 rpm does it advance?

The stock distributors are not a very good setup but should do better than what you describe.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:08 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Just to be sure, where is the distributer vacuum line connected?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:26 PM   #5
trentclark

Tinker, I will look at the mech dizzy. dont know anything about them.

Cadillac 512, it does advance so its working. I have a bosch timing light and it shows the rpms and advance.
the distributor vacuum is attached to a port in the back of the carb. hmmm?
Old 01-06-2020, 11:32 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm not a fan of the original vacuum distributors, but some are. I would go with the converted Chevy. You can get them as full mechanical or with both. Full mechanical is much easier to set up.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:04 AM   #7
trentclark

JSeery, thanks. I will look into that. Bubba/Charlie know that I understand.

as to your first question, do I have the vacuum advance connected in the right port? I have another port in the carb base plate, not sure of the difference.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:15 AM   #8
trentclark

would I be nuts to go with a newer electronic MSD dizzy?
Old 01-07-2020, 03:43 AM   #9
tubman

It sounds like you have the distributor hooked up to the proper vacuum port, and it does seen to be working from your description. I personally would take another try at re-installing the stock distributor. I have a lot of experience with them and you should not be having the trouble you are with the distributor fouling on other engine parts. Are you sure you didn't move it two teeth? Also, are you sure the rest of your ignition system (points, condenser, coil) are up to snuff? There are a lot of bad components out there lately. I would try to get the stock setup running before I would spend good money on an aftermarket electronic distributor. Contrary to a lot of misinformation out there, the stock ignition system on these engines works just fine if properly set up with the proper carburetor.

Oh yeah, the "bump" on the stock front pulley is at 4 degrees BTDC and is where the ignition should be set, not 4 degrees before it.

Also, remember the old saying : "90% of all ignition problems are carburetion related and vice-versa".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:45 AM   #10
tubman

Ypou might want to browse this thread : https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274603. He had a similar problem and finally solved it. I'm not saying that this is what is going on in your situation, but it just shows the variety of things that can cause such problems (and their solutions).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:52 AM   #11
51 MERC-CT

Did you in fact insure that when the distributor was located with the number one position located at 6 o'clock the number one piston is located at top dead center?? (top of compression stroke)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 01-07-2020 at 09:09 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:50 AM   #12
mfirth

Tubman has got a good idea. I run the stock load a matic & it works fine with the stock carb. Isky cam & Offy heads. 51 Merc's sugestion is on the mark too.
Love your truck !!!!
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #13
chap52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Did you in fact insure that when the distributor was located with the number one position located at 6 o'clock the number one piston is located at top dead center?? (top of compression stroke)
That is my thought too. I also experienced it where some bone head (me) when he replaced the timing gear managed to get it a couple of teeth out of time... Strangely it actually ran, no power and sputtered and backfired a lot. Seeing as how this is "confession" time... Remember these flatheads are cyl. are numbered front to back, 1-4 on passenger side, 5-8 on the drivers side. Hooking up the wires to the distributor in a "Chevy" pattern will also impact the power...
Thanks, I feel better now having gotten these transgressions off of chest. I understand that there is no statute of limitations for these... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #14
V8 Bob

Something not mentioned was point dwell which should be 27 degrees, and has to be verified before setting any initial timing. The timing bump on the pulley is 2 degrees BTDC and will provide good performance, but some additional advance is usually better, depending on fuel quality, altitude, driving habits etc.

Last edited by V8 Bob; 01-07-2020 at 09:58 AM.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #15
19Fordy

Remove your distributor and install it so it doesn't touch anything and can be fully adjusted. Then check: firing order, condition of spark plug wires, cracks or carbon tracks in dist. cap, rotor and make sure vacuum diafraghm (spelling) is working. Do you have any vacuum leaks?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #16
trentclark

Thanks, all good advice (and confessions). ill go thru every comment this weekend and hope to find the issue. I do want to keep it as stock as possible. ill let you know what i find. God Bless
Old 01-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #17
Mart

Just so we have the full picture, Trent, is the vehicle the one in your avatar?

It looks quite low, what size are the rear tires??

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #18
supereal

A defective condenser will seriously affect engine power. This is because a weak or open condenser will not allow the coil to be fully charged, resulting in a weak spark at the plugs. We reuse condensers rather that rely on the poor quality of those now sold.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:24 PM   #19
deuce_roadster

When an otherwise fine running flathead all of a sudden has not much power it can also be that the spring strap on one of the sets of points has broken. The engine will run on one set of points but not real well due to lack of dwell. Not the case here but something to keep in mind on dual point setups.
I suspect the Loadmatic which needs everything perfect to perform adequately or not on right tooth of drive..
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:49 PM   #20
trentclark

Mart, the avatar is the truck, I did lower it a few inches. the tires are 255/60R15. a little shorter than the stock tires i assume. Nice head stud removal video btw.

Supereal, I will swap out the condensor. does anyone like Napa sell good ones anymore?
Deuce Roadster, its a single point Loadmatic, set to .015 clearance. I think that is correct.

Ill load some photos once I remember how to do it, been a while.