Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #41
CarlG

Default Re: Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I just placed an order for the book. Looks like it could be very interesting. Thanks. $7.99 plus $4 S&H on Amazon
Amazon has them with prices all over the board: starting at $0.01 all the way up to $40.00 + 3.99 for shipping. How thoes places sell them for a penny is unbelievable, but my wife has bought quite a few penny books on Amazon.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #42
Special Coupe Frank

I forget where I bought my copy, 20 -odd years ago... might actually have been from a local book-seller... pretty sure the brand-new paperback was less than $15 at the time...
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #43
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohnke Rebabbitting View Post
Brent, you have gotten your self into a nonsensical defence mode. I would not run a T, A, or B., with out a 180, or 190 thermostat. The engine needs a normal operating Temp. to run efficiently and for proper vaporization of the fuel. Smoother running, better milage, less oil dilution. In Iowa, we need heaters in our cars if you drive, before the salt is added to the the road. With out a thermostat, you would get more heat out of a chicken. If you want the best, for your engine, its needed. Herm.
Herm,
Yes, 'commonsensical'...is not common, sometimes!
If Ford had not been so 'frugal', he would have put tstats as well as hydraulics as well as heaters as well as..well you get the idea. In my opinion, he made the volkswagen(workers car) of his time and a darn good one at that!
Did he, and his engineers, know about engine wear/tear due to sludge, etc ...what do you think! And, what was the oil change recommended frequency..and why so often! Geeze, he only charged pocket change(in todays money)so why build a duzyberg when not necessary then.
So when these antique cars come into our possession...for a mere pittance of a few K for a basket case...we know of what should be done if we want to make them safer/last longer, after putting in a lot more KKKs, i.e.- tstats, modern lubricants , 5 speeds, on/on/on!
Yup, you can lead a donk to knowledge...but 'stats are still your choice??.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #44
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Herm,
If Ford had not been so 'frugal', he would have put tstats as well as hydraulics as well as heaters as well as..well you get the idea. In my opinion, he made the volkswagen(workers car) of his time and a darn good one at that!
Did he, and his engineers, know about engine wear/tear due to sludge, etc ...what do you think! And, what was the oil change recommended frequency..and why so often! Geeze, he only charged pocket change(in todays money)so why build a duzyberg when not necessary then.
So when these antique cars come into our possession...for a mere pittance of a few K for a basket case...we know of what should be done if we want to make them safer/last longer, after putting in a lot more KKKs, i.e.- tstats, modern lubricants , 5 speeds, on/on/on!

Did he or his engineers know? Maybe not, otherwise why would slightly later designs include t-stats.

Did any 1920s cars have t-stats?

I also don't consider sliding in a t-stat that is 100% hidden and doesn't really change how the car works the same as putting a 5 speed in or hydraulic brakes. Both of these completely change the vehicle.

Using a t-stat and multi-weight detergent oil allow the engine to behave normal in cooler weather and last significantly longer yet you are still by all means driving an "A".

Thats my opinion anyway.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #45
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Herm,
So Mr. Hardtimes, what was your point, I missed it. Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #46
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
Did he or his engineers know? Maybe not, otherwise why would slightly later designs include t-stats.

Did any 1920s cars have t-stats?

I also don't consider sliding in a t-stat that is 100% hidden and doesn't really change how the car works the same as putting a 5 speed in or hydraulic brakes. Both of these completely change the vehicle.

Using a t-stat and multi-weight detergent oil allow the engine to behave normal in cooler weather and last significantly longer yet you are still by all means driving an "A".

Thats my opinion anyway.
What makes you think Mr. Tube, that sliding in a thermostat doesn't change how the car works, you have already started with the wrong premises, that a thermostat is a waste of your 5.00 bucks. It dosn't sound like you two boys have any experience in the thermostat department, only an opinion with the root source being the dollar bill. Herm.

Last edited by Kohnke Rebabbitting; 03-01-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #47
MrTube

Quote:
What makes you think Mr. Tube, that sliding in a thermostat doesn't change how the car works, you have already started with the wrong premises, that a thermostat is a wast of your 5.00 bucks. It dosn't sound like eather one of you have any experience in that department, only an opinion with the root source being the dollar bill. Herm.
Herm, I'm afraid you have me confused.

I am for thermostats and never said they were a waste of money?

My comment said the thermostat will allow the car to behave normal during cold weather which I believe to be a true statement. The car should behave the same on a 20F day or a 90F day.

Adding a downdraft carb, a 5 speed trans or even a super charger completely changes the way the engine behaves.

Perhaps I'm just explaining my self poorly.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #48
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
Herm, I'm afraid you have me confused.

I am for thermostats and never said they were a waste of money?

My comment said the thermostat will allow the car to behave normal during cold weather which I believe to be a true statement. The car should behave the same on a 20F day or a 90F day.

Adding a downdraft carb, a 5 speed trans or even a super charger completely changes the way the engine behaves.

Perhaps I'm just explaining my self poorly.
Excuse me all to H@#$ Mr. Tube, I have got to get off that Hemp. Herm.

Last edited by Kohnke Rebabbitting; 03-01-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #49
Special Coupe Frank

In the 1928 - 1931 era, I do not know of any cars / trucks that emplyed water-throttling thermostats... to the best of my knowledge, they were still using Sylphon- shutter thermostats that restricted airflow through the radiator.

This would include Cadillac, Packard, Lincoln, Duesenberg, Hudson, Pierce, and some others. Packard continued to use the shutter system through 1939 on some models.

Not quite as efficient for quick warm-up, but a step in the right direction.

The Pines Winterfront and Allen Shutterfront were two of the more popular aftermarket shutter-fronts in the '20s....

Have never seen one on an A though...
Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #50
hardtimes

Quote:
So Mr. Hardtimes, what was your point, I missed it. Herm.
Herm,
"The point"....tstats are good to help ensure that a good engine runs better and should last longer....yes/no?!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #51
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
The Pines Winterfront and Allen Shutterfront were two of the more popular aftermarket shutter-fronts in the '20s....

Have never seen one on an A though...
I have a Globe Winterfront that I intend on putting on my '31 PU. Gotta get some other stuff done first though. I'll have to post a picture after I get it on.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #52
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
...to keep the engine from developing local hot spots, a thermostat by-pass tube should be installed. I'm going to be running the vintage precision stat housing and routing a 3/8" SS tube from that housing to the engine hose inlet...
Do you have a picture of your installation?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #53
AL in NY

CarlG, I haven't gotten my engine back together. I'll post a photo when I do. My original thought was to run a 3/8" SS line from the Vintage Precision thermostat housing to the water inlet hose fitting on the left side of the block. But after reading MikeK's post, I'm rethinking that. I may decide to route the bypass tube to an area behind #4 cylinder, either on the rear left corner of the water jacket or directly behind #4 cylinder on the back of the block. I have to see what conflicts I may have there with the throttle linkage. I'll post a picture when it's installed.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #54
steve s

Another wrinkle: I read somewhere years ago that iron heads run better at 160 and aluminum heads run better at 180. Wish I could remember where I read that.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #55
Special Coupe Frank

A historical note: the 160* F point was arrived at as the maximum temperature you could run the coolant at before you started boiling-off the alcohol-based antifreezing solution.

Once ethylene-glycol "permanent" antifreezes arrived (late 1920's - early 1930's), it was found that the thermostat could be stepped-up to 180* F.

Alcohol-based antifreezes stayed around through the '50s and perhaps into the 1960's, and for years you could usually buy a choice of thermostat temps depending on which type of anti-freeze your were using: 160 for Alcohol, 180-190 for Prestone, Xerex, etc.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #56
marc hildebrant

When I had the Model A out about three weeks ago, I used a piece of cardboard to restrict the air into the radiator. The cardboard fit real nice between the stone gaurd and the radiator.

The car ran around 160 F in city type driving...the engine ran nice with the outside temp around 20 F.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #57
Houston Rodder

I think this may be a problem for you, Yankees.
Houston Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #58
1931 flamingo

marc: that cardboard is not going to work in july. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #59
Seth Swoboda

Brent, I believe that most Model A owners/drivers do not know the proper operation of the GAV and spark retard/advance. I will admit that I very rarely adjust the GAV. Could you explain to me how to use the spark retard/advance and how to adjust the GAV while driving the Model A? I know the start up procedure but when I am on the road I only ever adjust the spark advance.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #60
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Brent, I believe that most Model A owners/drivers do not know the proper operation of the GAV and spark retard/advance. I will admit that I very rarely adjust the GAV. Could you explain to me how to use the spark retard/advance and how to adjust the GAV while driving the Model A? I know the start up procedure but when I am on the road I only ever adjust the spark advance.
Seth, "proper operation" of the GAV and spark is covered in the standard Model A Ford operator's manual.

I'm thinking most Model A owners carry this manual, no?
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote