Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #41
Cecil/WV

Default Re: Leaving in the morning

Yesterday was a long day, driving 3 1/2 hrs each way to Maine and a nice visit with Walt Dupont and then a short visit to LL Bean in Freeport. Got back to our room at 9:00pm. Many thanks to my wife and daughter for their indulgence. My deepest apologies to those of you who I never made contact with, who had offered your hospitality.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #42
Bob NH

Some years ago I and a friend went to buy a a 34 sedan in upstate NY, (did not buy it, too rusty). On the way back we stopped at a diner in Vt. and ordered some eats, we waited and waited and waited some more. Finally asked a passing gal what happened to our waitress and food and was told it was the end of her shift and she had gone home , What ?? Duh Wondering if the pictured one might be the same !
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #43
Cecil/WV

If you were in Chester, it would be the same since it is the only one in town and it does close at 2:30pm. Good food, too!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #44
Bob NH

This one was not closing, others were still there" chowing down " ! It was just plain funny. We did eventually get food.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #45
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
If you were in Chester, it would be the same since it is the only one in town and it does close at 2:30pm. Good food, too!
Must be a New England thing. We stopped at one in Bennington at 3:45 on a Saturday afternoon. We got a look when we walked in. It wasn't till we ordered that we saw they close at 4:00???? I guess they are family run and don't trust enough people to put on a second shift.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #46
Bob NH

Could be true, many go to the "nest" when it's dark under the kitchen table !
Old 10-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #47
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
Yesterday was a long day, driving 3 1/2 hrs each way to Maine and a nice visit with Walt Dupont and then a short visit to LL Bean in Freeport. Got back to our room at 9:00pm. Many thanks to my wife and daughter for their indulgence. My deepest apologies to those of you who I never made contact with, who had offered your hospitality.
Thanks for stopping Cecil, we had a good time bench racing and talking flatheads. I had a lot of co. that day, a guy from Ma. that I'm building an engine for, and an other fellow that was here about the same time you was with 2 flatheads in his truck he wanted me to checkout. Wish you could have stayed longer but I'm sure you wife and daughter got tired waiting. To bad my wife was getting ready to go to work, the girls could have gone in the house talked girl stuff ( probably about us men) I think you were still here when she left for work. Hope we can meet up again sometime, Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #48
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
Thanks for stopping Cecil, we had a good time bench racing and talking flatheads. I had a lot of co. that day, a guy from Ma. that I'm building an engine for, and an other fellow that was here about the same time you was with 2 flatheads in his truck he wanted me to checkout. Wish you could have stayed longer but I'm sure you wife and daughter got tired waiting. To bad my wife was getting ready to go to work, the girls could have gone in the house talked girl stuff ( probably about us men) I think you were still here when she left for work. Hope we can meet up again sometime, Walt
Walt, I really enjoyed the brief visit on Tuesday. I am sure we will meet again. We got home last night at 8:30 and today is a rest day. Poker run tomorrow. We traveled 2347 miles and averaged just under 20mpg. I had the pinion nut back off enough to cause a vibration and put some. Locktire on and it was ok. I was in a 20 mile parking lot in CT on the first day out and the solenoid quit engaging and when we stopped for the night, I grounded the relay(a new relay) to verify the problem. I planned to change it the next morning, but it worked ok. It worked flawlessly until I was coming home yesterday, near Allentown, PA it quit again and after we stopped to eat at Midway, and had driven another few miles, it worked the rest of the way home.

Last edited by Cecil/WV; 10-26-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: duplicity
Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #49
jim1932

SO which route did you take home? Inquiring minds want to know....
Old 10-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #50
Cecil/WV

Jim,
I came down I-93 to Concord, Rt 9 through Keene, NH to Brattleboro and then I 91 to Hartford and I 84 to I 684 in NY and came down to I 287 into NJ and came across I -78 to I 81 and home. Stopped in Riegleville, PA and bought a real nice '53 Jubilee farm tractor. It was on a golf course until seller got it 18 years ago and he used it also to mow grass and hasn't used it much in the last 5 years. It has less than 2600 hrs. on the clock.

Last edited by Cecil/WV; 10-29-2013 at 07:14 AM. Reason: error in rt #
Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #51
jim1932

Ouch…. not my preference, too close to Hartford and NY. I assume you mean 91 out of Brattleboro. In all my times traveling that corridor, I don't think I have ever been on 684. think I have been on every other North South route though. You made it back OK so that is all that matters.