Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Bill Lee/Virginia

Default Another Post on Speedster Rear Spring

A few days ago I posted about removing a leaf or two from the rear spring of my Speedster since the ride is too stiff. My local car club Tech Rep is setting up a person or two to help remove one or more leafs of the spring about 2 weeks from now. My car club has the proper tools and I have most of the required parts. Questions: (1) What is the best material to use as "spring spacers", flat iron or an old spring? (2) What total length is required for each spacer? (3) How low do I have to drop the axle and the old spring from the cross member to remove the spring? The reason I ask this question is that I have dual exhausts extended under the rear axle to the rear of the car and really do not want to remove the exhaust pipes. Any other info and advice for me?
Bill Lee/Virginia Peninsula
Bill Lee/Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
mleder

Default Re: Another Post on Speedster Rear Spring

We recently had a spring clinic at the Twin Cities Model A Ford Club. I showed some of the guys my spring set up on my pickup. They pointed out to me that at some time someone wanted a softer ride and it looks like they reassembled the ten leaf spring by taking the top two shorter leafs and placed them on the bottom. The truck rides nice and this was done in a round 1953. Just another way to do things and keep the u bolts etc. without buying new stuff.
mleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
columbiA

Default Re: Another Post on Speedster Rear Spring

On a light speedster,you could use the narrower model T spring.It wouldnt be the 1st time a T spring was used on a very light A.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote