Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
miss victoria

Default victoria upholstery help

installing a L.B. upholstery kit in my 30 victoria could use some pictures not sure about the wind lace and window trim? thanks
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
CA Victoria

Default Re: victoria upholstery help

I have a few pictires of the original Mohair before I took it out of my Victoria, send me an email if you are interested.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
glenn in camino

I wish LB would produce some DVDs on how to install their kits. I'm just finishing my sport coupe top and I sure could have used some better visual instruction.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
miss victoria

[email protected] thanks,
Old 04-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
DaveB

I will be doing the top and interior in my leater back Victoria in a few weeks and shudder at doing the top with the rear cut and tuck in the rear window. Pictures or video etc from anyone would be a big help.
DaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
miss victoria

i did my top ,came out well can help you with that, it takes alot of time and #%&#%#
Old 04-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
DaveB

Any advice and/or pics would help.
My email: [email protected]

Since the wood looked pretty good, I chose not to replace it with a kit. The areas where the nails go were pretty bad. I used wooden dowels to replace the areas and it actually came out very good. Just about ready to do final prime and paint then the top .... etc etc. I recognize those o#$+@ words since I had to use a lot of them !!!!!

Dave
Thanks
DaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
miss victoria

i did the same tooth picks and wood glue. keep in touch when your ready to install the top
Old 04-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
Richard Wilson

First I really like all of the L-B kits that I have been around and think that they are money well spent. However, you would think that L-B would at least try to have better instructions for someone that is spending $3,000 for a kit marketed to both the do-it-yourselfer and professional shops. The pro will not need instruction but the do it yourselfer surely needs more help in some cases.

Example: The Victoria top kit refers you to the Ford service bulletien December 1930 which if you follow step by step might lead to a problem. The L-B Victoria interior kit comes with a combination of generic instructions for the most part. They do not mention some of the Victoria pieces, that ARE included in the kit, in the instructions. You have to refer to the material check off sheet, see what area of the kit they were included with, and then figure out where and how to install them.

Interior kits are definately NOT for the faint of heart. One snip with the scissors or stretching one section of material to tight or not tight enough, or a misplaced nail can ruin and entire installation. I have been told that L-B is very helpful if you get stuck on a section and give them a phone call but usually you have messed something up before you realize it. This is my tenth L-B kit install and I still have to take a step back and think about the best way to procede at times. Sometimes I am right sometimes not.

My number one tip for a first time installer would be to "take your time and think each step through". You might have to test fit a piece several times before final installation. A pro shop might install a kit in two days or less but a first timer should plan on a week or more and not rush.

Last edited by Richard Wilson; 04-08-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote