Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Aok

Question B Engine question

Do any modifications need to be made to install a model B engine into a model A. I maybe be looking at one that has a 4 cyl B engine. I know it would have more hp and I think a actual oil pump so not too concerned about the engine just if changes had to be made to install. Like does it match up to the model A trans or is a adapter required and availability of B engine parts if needed.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
62pan

Default Re: B Engine question

As long as you use the A transmission the swap is fairly easy. You will need to remove the flywheel housing from the B oil pan. Then your B engine will bolt right up to the A flywheel housing and transmission. I have a B pan that has the flywheel housing part removed so if your not to far and you decided to do this maybe we could swap pans.
This has been talked about alot so if you have the time try the search section and I am sure alot of your questions will be answered.
62pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Yes, there are modifications, same oil pump as "A", but has some pressure to the mains, the oil pan has a larger cutout in the rear for the larger rear main cap, if you cut the back part off the "B" pan to make it looklike an A pan all the A stuff will work, if using the a dist the timing cover will need to be changed to time it properly with the pin ---to use the "B" trans a lot more modifications are needed --a place for the radius ball, pedals---rear mounts
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
darrylkmc

Model B oil pump is basically a modified Model A oil pump, be sure to use the one with the enlarged outlet and undercut shaft on the Model B engine. See Ford Service Bulletin 1932 page 67 Fig. 107 Oil Pumps.

Also, you can remove the spot welds holding the lower cover onto the oil pan of the Model B, this way if you want to reattach it later it can be welded back in place.

You will also need to modify the Model A inspection plate to fit, as this part did not exist for the Model B engine.

Darryl in Fairbanks

Last edited by darrylkmc; 02-06-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added Ford Service Bulletin 1932 info
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
JB&Sons

Smile Re: B Engine question

I've been looking for an answer to the question posed here about mating a Model B motor with a Model A transmission. I'm not entirely clear on what the solution is. I have an A flywheel housing as well as a B; I have an A pan; I have a B pan. If I use the A pan, the diameter of the opening is too small for the main seal. If I use the B pan, I can't use the A flywheel housing and so can't link it with the A transmission.

I'm a newbie at this; can someone help me?

Much appreciated!
JB&Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB&Sons View Post
I've been looking for an answer to the question posed here about mating a Model B motor with a Model A transmission. I'm not entirely clear on what the solution is. I have an A flywheel housing as well as a B; I have an A pan; I have a B pan. If I use the A pan, the diameter of the opening is too small for the main seal. If I use the B pan, I can't use the A flywheel housing and so can't link it with the A transmission.

I'm a newbie at this; can someone help me?

Much appreciated!
With a B engine you have to use the B pan but to install it into an A you need to remove the lower flywheel housing from the pan. The B pan has dimples in the side to clear the larger rods and the rear cutout for the seal is bigger. Use the A flywheel housing and all will fit as far as mounting it. The head will have to be changed or the pump modified to work. The timing cover will have to match the distributor ie: A cover with A distributor and B cover with B dist. Now, if you want to use the B stuff you will need a B transmission and the conversion kit to mount the pedals. Lots of work there.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
JB&Sons

Jim, thanks again for the information. I said off line that I thought I had it, but as I explained it all to my dad, I realized I wasn't positive about one point. You said that "the head will have to be changed or the pump modified to work." I have a high compression "C" head for it; will that take care of things? And just to be clear, you mean the water pump, right?

Thanks again!

Dan
Old 04-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
columbiA

JB You can use the 32-34 model B head (large C),& the 32 B water pump.For a rad hose,ive used a molded hose & cut a section that had a straight piece with a slight curve on one end.A straight hose would work,but would have a slight buckle in it.The 33-34 B water pump is shorter & will not work.The 32-34 heads are 4.6-1 CR,the A head 4.2 CR,so there is a slight increase.A 5.5 or 5.9 head will really wake them up.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
Geo. H

I have a B engine, and a B transmission with '39 gears in my roadster. In my opinion, this mod is no more work than modifying a B pan so you can use the A transmission. Costs a little more, but the synchro and gear ratios make for a much more drivable car.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
JB&Sons

Happy Easter, everyone. My dad and I really appreciate the help y'all have been giving us here. We have another question, though. Geo. H: If we decide to use a B transmission (because of your very good point about the useability of the car), will we have to modify the drive shaft? Thanks in advance
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB&Sons View Post
Happy Easter, everyone. My dad and I really appreciate the help y'all have been giving us here. We have another question, though. Geo. H: If we decide to use a B transmission (because of your very good point about the useability of the car), will we have to modify the drive shaft? Thanks in advance
not the driveshaft, but you will need a pedal shaft kit, a radius ball adapter and clamshells for a B or V8 to match the B bearing retainer bolt pattern. You will also need to modify the rear engine mounts or use a set of B float o motor mounts in the rear.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #12
Geo. H

Pat gave you the right answer. It's not hard, and you don't have to make any permanent mods. Makes for a great driver, but some of the Model A charm is gone.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote