Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
johnbuckley

Default slipping (V8 type) clutch

A friend's 6 month old V8 type clutch conversion has started slipping. We suspect a poor quality pressure plate. Any one else had similar problems? Any solutions? It would be pity to replace it for the same to happen yet again.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
JohnLaVoy

Default Re: slipping (V8 type) clutch

I'm having more than slipping it failed on my completely on the last tour. I have a lot of miles on it but it always seemed to slip at low RPM. I am in the process of pulling the engine now so I will know more in a few days but have heard of other failures of this system.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
2manycars

Some of the V8 pressure plates have fly weights and some do not. The fly weights make the plate grip tighter at higher rpms. Some sell them with weights and some without. I have heard that the ones with weights are for cars, and the ones witout are for tractors. If it is new, it is probably made in China, and the quality may be less than desireable.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
WestCoast

made in china is a very good guess, my thinking is there is not enough free play in the clutch lever, needs at least 1 to 1 1/2 inches of free play
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
A friend's 6 month old V8 type clutch conversion has started slipping. We suspect a poor quality pressure plate. Any one else had similar problems? Any solutions? It would be pity to replace it for the same to happen yet again.
Hey John,
There ARE different quality pressure plates and that , most likely, has an effect on some slippage cases. Some pressure plates, I'm told, are better at preventing slippage than others. I have also discussed GEAR RATIOS and clutch slippage with a knowledgeable Model A hobbyist and mechanic.
This guy told me that my gear choices would probably end up resulting in clutch slippage ! I believe that he , most likely, knew what he was saying. However, I start my A out with higher revs and what I feel is proper clutch useage, and , so far, no slippage. I use the 9" Borg & Beck pressure plate with the 'flyweights'. As said, this type pressure plate , through flyweights, increases CLAMPING force with rpm...and that's good.
However the flyweight B&B does not have the smoothest and the most clamping force of the pressure plates that you can use. I'm now having a diaphragm 9" balanced/fitted to a flywheel for my A. This is a 'modern' type pressure plate that , I'm told, give a very positive engagement without slippage due to design. There are also, LARGER pressure plates with more clamping pressure, but still of the old designs.
My point: Given that a LOT of guys have gone to lots of different higher gear ratio selections,and are experiencing slippage, maybe the old guy was onto something in his advice about gear selection ?

BTW...oil on the clutch / flywheel surfaces won't help anything. Remember all the talk, from Model A owners....about how Model A cars like to 'mark territory'..this may include clutch, eh !!

Last edited by hardtimes; 04-13-2015 at 07:16 PM. Reason: ........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote