Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2024, 10:18 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default List of Reproduction "A" Parts That Don't Work

I often hear complaints about reproduction Model "A" parts that either do not fit properly or do not function properly or have poor quality of material / manufacture.

From your experiences, please post the stuff you purchased that falls into the above complaint criteria.

Here are some of my gripes:
1) Non-metallic cylinder head gaskets are not durable;
2) Copper water inlet gasket is too thick & results in cracked water inlet casting;
3) Riveted molded brake linings produce ugly brake dust & crack at the rivets;
4) Gear shift & brake lever rubber boots do not fit holes in carpet / floor mat;
5) Rubber ball radius rod ball socket wears too quickly & upsets front wheel caster;
6) V8 type pressure plate with improperly adjusted fingers.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:36 AM   #2
AL in NY

Default Re: List of Reproduction "A" Parts That Don't Work

The Best Graphite head gasket does not fit an engine that is bored .125" over or an engine with oversized (1.73") intake valves. The gasket cannot be aligned accurately because the stud holes can get enlarged during installation and the fire rings end up contacting either the intake valve or one of the pistons during operation.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:41 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
I often hear complaints about reproduction Model "A" parts that either do not fit properly or do not function properly or have poor quality of material / manufacture.

From your experiences, please post the stuff you purchased that falls into the above complaint criteria.

Oh my gosh, I could overwhelm you with 'stuff' that doesn't fit. The underlying issue is hobbyists do not 'restore' parts any longer. They just want to be parts changers with many of the newer generations having expectations where the part/item needs to be a perfect fit right out of the package. The manufacturers can provide this, ...however when the truth is told, generally speaking Model-A hobbyists just will NOT pay the extra $$ for top-quality merchandise. Don't believe me, call Steve, Don, Jeff, or any of the other people in our industry to manufacture and sell, and see what they tell you.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:55 AM   #4
johnneilson

Al

Have you checked with Best to see if they make a large bore gasket?
I know they have made OHV big bore versions
J
Old 02-07-2024, 11:34 AM   #5
Banditorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Oh my gosh, I could overwhelm you with 'stuff' that doesn't fit. The underlying issue is hobbyists do not 'restore' parts any longer. They just want to be parts changers with many of the newer generations having expectations where the part/item needs to be a perfect fit right out of the package. The manufacturers can provide this, ...however when the truth is told, generally speaking Model-A hobbyists just will NOT pay the extra $$ for top-quality merchandise. Don't believe me, call Steve, Don, Jeff, or any of the other people in our industry to manufacture and sell, and see what they tell you.
To be fair, that's just the direction the automotive industry has taken. Long gone are the days of zerk fittings, turning rotors, and rebuildable parts. Just being a parts changer is all these younger guys have ever known.
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 11:50 AM   #6
JayJay

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Head lamp sockets and the conduits that connect to them. Constant battle.

And Brent, while I agree completely with you in principle, having a source of reproduction parts can really help when you just don't have the original parts to restore. Case in point, the head lamp sockets above. Snyders has them for about $13 each, but I'd gladly pay 50% more if I had an assurance that they'd work. Yes, they're available in the swap meet world, but swap meets aren't as widespread as they used to be.

And there are some parts that just don't make sense for the average (or even above-average) owner to restore - chipped transmission or differential gears, bearings??? Yes, it can be done, but it's pretty involved.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 05:29 PM   #7
gdmn852

Practically all of the repro sheet metal, always requires fitting, rework from die washout, definitely not just bolt on ! Sure this post will expand to many pages .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D666EF7F-5D94-4217-8856-1084BA3DEC68.jpg (65.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg DD3C5DDA-D8DB-4B74-983E-DD6A0C8892D4.jpg (56.4 KB, 98 views)
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 07:12 PM   #8
Kurt in NJ

Would it be easier to list the parts that are perfect?
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 08:27 PM   #9
Mike1291

It's my expectation (from the little experience I have) that 1 out of 3 part components you order require some sort of minor adjusting and about 1 out of 6 require major work done to get it proper
Old 02-07-2024, 08:32 PM   #10
Mike1291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditorama View Post
To be fair, that's just the direction the automotive industry has taken. Long gone are the days of zerk fittings, turning rotors, and rebuildable parts. Just being a parts changer is all these younger guys have ever known.
Young guy here (under 30). I can say that there's more of a desire for instant gratification so if something doesn't work the first (or second time) we get impatient and/or frustrated. I'm slowly learning not to be this way
Old 02-07-2024, 08:50 PM   #11
Synchro909

I was recently taking with a guy who drove a Model A in a Peking to Paris race. His preparation of the car included a new differential carrier machined out of a billet. track rods and telescopic shockers
The carrier broke before he even got out of China, the shocker mounts broke or the eyes pulled off the shockers and the track rods broke. In fact, everything he replaced, thinking he doing the right thing, failed. None of the original Ford components that he left in the car failed.
Nuff said.
Old 02-07-2024, 09:04 PM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Almost anything made by Vintique.

Example of their '30-31 cowl light arms.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cowl Light .jpg (15.9 KB, 707 views)
File Type: jpg Cowl Lite.jpg (17.5 KB, 711 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-07-2024 at 09:10 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:39 PM   #13
Keith True

I just pulled a pair of step plates that have been on a coupe I have that have been there for 40-50 years.I was really surprised to see the foil stickers on the back that say,Vintique,made in the USA.I also just discovered the lug nuts are the poor older ones with no relief in the ends.Threads go all the way to the end.But,the car has always had the washers under the lugs.I'd take pictures but I can no longer post them here,so I won't bother.I used to fool with old,(pre 67)VW's a lot,and it was always said the name Empi was the Chinese word for crap.I kind of think Vintique is head and shoulders above Empi products.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:56 PM   #14
updraught

Ya see, back in the "good old days" you got your radiator rodded out and the starter and alternator rebuilt at the local auto electrical and radiator shop.
On the first outing the thing refuses to start, and then the alternator dies as they still have the same problem as before they were rebuilt.
Then the radiator blocks up again from the rusty block.
These days all these bits are cheaper to buy new, than waste time and money on, and being stuck in the middle of nowhere.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 12:52 AM   #15
Synchro909

It is only the good quality stuff from years gone by that has survived till to day and it is the only stuff we remember. IMO, it is that "selective memory" that leaves us believing that things were made better in the good 'ol days. It' just that the crap has failed and been thrown out a long time ago.
Old 02-08-2024, 02:38 AM   #16
dave in australia

Dad has been restoring A's since the sixties. If you want bad repro, then you need to look at what was available from Argentina in the seventies. We still have some of the parts stored away for cringe nostalgia.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 03:37 AM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in australia View Post
Dad has been restoring A's since the sixties. If you want bad repro, then you need to look at what was available from Argentina in the seventies. We still have some of the parts stored away for cringe nostalgia.
The General Belgrano was supposed to be a model A spare part. It didn't work either!
Old 02-08-2024, 04:07 AM   #18
Bill G

I always say that the repo parts "Almost fit" That's what I tell my wife when it takes hours to fit and rework a part that you'd expect to drop right in.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:54 AM   #19
nkaminar

The mechanical parts for all 4 years production of the Model A are mostly the same. Exceptions for very early but these can be changed out for later parts. That means there is a market for Model A parts. Same for Model T. In contrast, Chevrolet changed the mechanical design for each year in the same era and the market for Chevy parts for these years is not as robust. The same reasoning can be applied to other brand cars in the same era. Model A owners are spoiled by the market in repo parts. One example is the brand new engine available with upgraded design. Can you buy a brand new 1928 4-cylinder Chevy engine? No.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:20 AM   #20
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in australia View Post

Darn cheap tho. Back in early 1975 73 cents Australian bought US$1.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote