Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
loubob

Default Noise In L.R. Brake Assy

When drum(new c.i.) is torqued to 100 ft. lbs. I get several noises when turning the wheel. One of the noises is a scraping sound. Another is a 'clicking' noise.
When drum is on, but not torqued, I can only hear a faint 'clicking' noise.
I believe I've double checked everything and can't find a cause. The top adjuster is all the way back.
Being that I am new to A's, and don't claim to be a master mechanic, what am I missing??? What should I check?

Suggestions and thoughts please.

Bob
loubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Noise In L.R. Brake Assy

If the drum is scraping the backing plate, then you will need to use a shim on the tapered part of the axle to move the drum outward. Have you checked the backing plate to make sure it isn't bent? Many have hit the road when the wheel fell off, or when the car fell off a jack.

Could the clicking just be the spider gears turning?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
larrys40

The scraping could be from the lip of the drum hitting the backing plate. sometimes backing plates get bent inward, sometimes the bottoms get bent when rear axles are moved, etc without paying attention at this area.
Additionally the emergency brake pins could be facing the wrong way ( should be heads facing outward) as well as the hub may need a shim between the axle/hub.

It's a matter of checking to see what's rubbing with proper diagnosing, and remedy to correct the issues mentioned above.
As far as the clicking sound it could be the rear axle as you rotate and move the spyder gears, could also be the emergency brake catching and moving to the carrier plate...

After careful diagnosis and correction be sure to properly torque the rear hub to 125-150 ft lbs

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
loubob

I'll check the backing plate.
All the noise seems to be coming from the lr wheel.
I will check again to be sure.
Cast iron drums are new and they were trued. I've thought about rechecking this drum.
I'll see if I can borrow a drum from a fellow club member to verify my drum is o.k., or not.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
loubob

E brake pins are placed correctly.
Is there a dye, or grease I can put on the inside of drum to see where it is hitting?
The noises were not present prior to my redoing the brakes.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

If you can't see any witness marks, then just slip a piece of paper 1" wide around the drum to see where it binds.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:02 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob View Post
E brake pins are placed correctly.
Is there a dye, or grease I can put on the inside of drum to see where it is hitting?
The noises were not present prior to my redoing the brakes.
I had the same problem. The cast iron drum was rubbing on the e-brake lining and on the head of the pin that holds it on the rig. If you don't mind a bit a paint on the inside of your drum, spray the inside of the drum, after the paint is dry, run it a bit and then take the drum off and see where the paint is worn off. This will verify if your drum is rubbing on the e-brake or something else.

I had to put a shim around the axle to push the drum out away from the e-brake. You can get two thickness of shims so you may want to start with the thinnest first and then add if you need to. If you put in to thick of one, it is hard to tighten the axle nut. All parts vendors sell these shims.

Good luck, it is a frustrating situation but it can be solved.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #8
larrys40

As tom said you can try a thin feeler gauge even around the drum or piece of paper. A couple of other possibilities now that I know you have new drums.

1. depending on the drum you may need a light turn on the e-brake surface of the drum
2. If you have new e-brake linings make sure you don't have any high spots and they are seated correctly on the carrier plate. Inspect the drum inside well for any witness markes of rubbing of service brake shoes and e-brake. Also inspect the inside curved edge of the backing plate (6 o clock position underneath shoes ) to make sure you don't have a bend on the backing plate. If there is one you sometimes can take a block of wood and a hammer to adjust it back in place. I like to put the brake centering gauge back on to make sure all is well after that if you have one.

This is nothing out of the ordinary for doing brake jobs and getting things back to right. Keep us posted.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #9
loubob

I appreciate the advise.
I will check everything as you've suggested and post results.
Thank you.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #10
rscardina

The backing plates on all 4 wheels were bent on my coupe when I purchased it. It appeared that it may have fallen off of jack stands or something. The drivers side drum was not bolted down even finger tight. I'm sure this was an attempt to eliminate the grinding sound. I worked with them all to bend them back to eliminate the drums from grinding on them. It was obvious they were like that for a while because of the wear on the backing plates.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #11
loubob

Clicking noise caused by 3 lug bolts hitting one of the e-brake clevis pins.
Filed down the back of the bolts so they would be even with the drum.
Installed one shim.
Noise gone.
Thanks to all that replied.
Bob