Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #21
Fordestes

Default Re: 8-n oil

I own an 8-N and a 1964 4000diesel I was advised by several folks as well as a ford tractor dealership mechanic who has his own tractor repair shop , He says 30 wt. motor oil in both the rear drive and trans on the 4000 and the 8-N will suffice , I use ford spec fluid from TSC in all of my tractors, the container says all ford tractors before (as I remember 1975 ), I was using 30 wt. oil before the switch to the TSC fluid, no problems so far 25 years and counting , I change my fluids every season.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #22
Alaska Jim

Since we are talking about 8N's, I have one in Texas, but my selection of tools there is poor. It is my second home that I visit one a year ( my wife goes more often ). I am looking to find some one in the Mineola Texas area that works on these old tractors. My bad back, and 1 bad hip keep me from doing a lot myself any more. If anyone knows some one in that area, let me know. I do know about Alexander's Tractor repair in Winnsboro, but I do not have a trailer to haul it there, so looking for someone local to Mineola. Thanks, ---Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #23
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Are there any New Holland dealerships?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #24
rotorwrench

Mineola is a relatively small town but there is likely a small mom & pop shop around if there is enough regular auto & ag buisiness around there. There may even be some mobile repair guys that work the area from Tyler up to Winnsboro. They use field service trucks and come to your location. Broken tractors are harder to move than running ones even if it is just an 8N.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #25
Alaska Jim

rotorwrench, thanks for that idea, I had not thought about a mobile service. ( I should have, I had to do enough of it working on heavy equip. for the State of Alaska ). I will have to check around next time I am down there. you are right about Mineola, It is a small town. Tyler is not even as big as Anchorage , Alaska.. Mineola is about the size of Wasilla, Alaska
Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #26
oldbugger

Also make sure the boot around the shifter is in good shape, for sure if you store it outside. Water will get in the oil through a bad boot. Paul
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:17 PM   #27
Alaska Jim

I keep mine inside, as I am only there 2-3 months out of the year. If I left it outside, I probably would not have much left after being gone a few months. I do have a good boot on the shifter.