Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
bdtutton

Default Model T ability by era question

Hello,
I have a 1930 Ford Model A Tudor. It is a beautiful car and I am sure the previous owner did well in car shows and parades, but I drive it everywhere. I don't show it or drive it in parades. The fun of the car is in cruising the back roads the way it did 88 years ago.

That being said, I want to buy a Model T. Not to show or be in a parade. I want to use it to drive the back roads the way it did over 100 years ago. I love the way the 1914 and 1915 cars look, but I was wondering if there is much difference in the roadability of a brass car as compared to a 1924-1925 model T?

If a 1914-1915 model T had new tires, brakes and a moderately fresh engine, would it be able to maintain 35mph on smooth roads? Possibly run up to 40mph in short bursts to keep from getting run over. What do you think?
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
24ruxstel1339

Default Re: Model T ability by era question

A Model T of any year is pretty much the same as for power and general driveability, the 26-27 have larger rear drums and lined shoes, where early models do not...foot brake only, on a drum inside the transmission. The 26-27 rear brakes are still parking brakes, but can be applied in an emergency.
A good running stock T will cruise 30-35 mph and hit 40+ with no problem.

Mine has a 2 speed Ruxstell rear axle and will cruise 40 all day.

Driving and operating a T is considerably different than an A !
24ruxstel1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:22 PM   #3
Dodge

I have two 1915 T's one a Touring car and the other a Sedan. Both will easily run
30-35 miles an hour all day long and hit 45 when needed.
I would suggest a Ruxstell if you have any hills near you and I would for sure put a set
of Rocky mountain brakes on it.
You can drive it anywhere with this set up. When I take it for a tour with our club
we always go about 100 miles each time.
I also have a Model A and enjoy both.
Get one you'll love it.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
gz

If you are looking for a 1915, I have a 1915 runabout I am considering selling. It is part of my personal collection. Bought it about four years ago and prior to that was in a museum for nearly 50 years. It is a correct 1915, not assembled from parts nor a later car that has been backdated. The engine, body and firewall plate have correct numbers and the car has all of the correct 1915 key components.I have freshened it mechanically and it runs and drives fine. All stock. Super solid body. The paint, upholstery and top are probably 50 years old but the car has a good look to it. It is mostly original and has never been fully restored. I am located near Detroit, so not too far from you. Price is 13,500.00 with the stock rear end or 14,500.00 with a Ruckstell rear end. I would consider trading it for a good Model T speedster or maybe a solid and mostly original Model A.

Call 734-730-4274 or email at: [email protected] if you have an interest. Here is a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 153.jpg (77.2 KB, 37 views)
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #5
bdtutton

Dear gz,
Your car looks nice and it sounds like it has a good pedigree, but I am not quite ready to buy yet and I don't know if I should get a runabout or something with a back seat. I am also struggling with a decision between a 14 and 15. I am still learning about Model Ts. It took me about 2 years to decide what kind of Model A I wanted.
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #6
CharlieB

As stated performance doesn't differ much. I will say though that at 6' 3" and having had a Tudor & a Touring that there's more room in the open car + the Tudor was a'27 with a cowl tank and I think that takes away room too.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote