Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Phil Noonon

Default A Little More Information Please

Hi to all,

I am considering attaching rear bumpers to my closed cap pickup, 1928. I have searched and found some infomration about the "how to". I want to use a ford sedan braclets and I have the diagram provided on a thread, I cannot determine how the brackets attach to the truck frame. My truck bed sits on a wooden subrail. Could someone proved a couple of pictures "close up"?

Thanks!
Phil Noonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Farrell In Vancouver

Default Re: A Little More Information Please

Just ahead of the rear cross member you'll find two bolt holes in the top of the channel on both left and right frame rails. The car end of the bumper brackets mount to these bolt holes. The bracket rolls over the rear cross member and out to where the bumperettes will live. Pretty sure you'll need to raise the bed to get the brackets in and bolted,(maybe not) and you may have to provide clearence in your wood sub-rails to clear the bolt heads. Most Bumper brackets will have stantions to bolt to the rear sub-rail of the car. I don't know off-hand if they will be even close to anything on the bottom of the truck box to mount to, so you may have to do a Mcguiver here.
I have some photos at home, if I remember, I'll post them in this thread for you.
Good luck
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
mccsix

Phil
I'm looking for the same info. Where did you get the diagram from? I was originally thinking of installing a hitch as well as the bumpers but I've decided against that because there is no back back there and the frame froward of the axle is very flimsy.
So I'm thinking after I bend the extended brackets I'll wind up securing them to the oak bed extensions.

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Phil Noonon

This is the diagram that Tom from Dripping Spring, Texas posted on a thread that I saved.

Scanbump.PDF

Attached Thumbnails

Attached Files
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scanbump[1].pdf (32.3 KB, 39 views)
Phil Noonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
Phil
I'm looking for the same info. Where did you get the diagram from? I was originally thinking of installing a hitch as well as the bumpers but I've decided against that because there is no back back there and the frame froward of the axle is very flimsy.
So I'm thinking after I bend the extended brackets I'll wind up securing them to the oak bed extensions.
Gene,

If you are thinking about installing a bumper on a huckster (just though maybe that is what you are doing), I put a bumper on my huckster. I found that my huckster's body was to long to be able to attach the bumper brackets to the frame so I mounted it to the wooden body of the huckster. Then made some metal braces to go against the rear spring cross member to keep the bumper from going forward in case I was rear ended. If you would like some pictures, I can get some more for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1096a.jpg (55.2 KB, 36 views)
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
31apickup

You'll have to extend the bumper brackets 6" so that they will be beyond the back of the box so they can be effective. You could build new wood mounting blocks for the box that extend further back and build a cross member that the bumper bracket supports can bolt to. My pickup isn't stock, I built a metal frame extension that goes to the back of the box and built custom support brackets that go to the bumper. I hid it frame extension with a rolled pan that matches the curve of the box sub-rails.
31apickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
mccsix

Thanks everyone for the pics and diagrams......I have enough now to be dangerous.

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

Good for you! I really like the rear bumpers on a PU.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote