Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
Henry/Kokomo

Default Info needed

I know there is a person/firm that converts generators to alternators but can't remember the name or location of the business (CRS really acting up this morning). Anybody know who I'm thinking of? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Info needed

Whitney, California
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
Joe Immler

Ed Whitney Co. Inc. 1132 E. Valencia Dr. Fullerton, Ca. 92831 800 713 1611
[email protected]
Does good work. Has been doing this for many years. Advertises in the V-8 Times. Highly recommend.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

http://www.ejwhitneyco.com/automotive.html

Classic Automotive Generator Conversion

The E. J. Whitney Company has been converting vintage automotive generators to alternators for a few years with great success. In the past a few companies attempted to do this but didn’t study it carefully enough and the units either rattled apart and or overheated. Our crew includes two mechanical egineers that perfected the basic design. We currently have hundreds on the road without any problems.
We primarily do flat head Ford generators from the model A thru 1953 (seven models). The early models had a cutout relay on top of the generator which we convert and install on the new unit so it hooks up just as Ford intended. We also do Delco Remy. The focus of our design is to reuse as much of the original generator as is practical to preserve that original look.
All of the units we produce are 40 amps which are more than cars of this age ever had to begin with. All internal parts are new first quality alternator parts from a major manufacturer. Our alternators are capable of putting out over one hundred amps on the test bench but exceeding forty amps for an extended time would overheat the unit.
We do not suggest using our units with Halogen headlights as they can draw thirty five amps alone. Some of our customers have done this anyway with no negative effects reported. For the earlier models we offer either six volt positive ground or twelve volt negative ground. The standard conversion unit is black but the center field housing (cylinder) part is aluminum and can be polished at an additional charge.
We do require a core generator for exchange; the same model that you want converted. We do not have completed units in stock but we do keep all of the components so it’s not always necessary that we have your core before we get started. Generator cores are quite heavy and we suggest using a flat rate box from the post office, the box is free and the shipping is about $9.00. Put padding in the pulley end of the box as we have had some pulleys squashed.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
mrtexas

About $600!
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Think that is a little high unless something has changed. I purchased one a few months ago, think it was something like $425.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
wga

I've had one from Ed Whitney for seven years, and no issues. Looks like a stock Ford generator.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
Andy

I converted my gen to 12V and could not be happier. Instant starting , brighter lights. I was afraid of the altenator idea because of the long over hung fan on the 32.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I converted my gen to 12V and could not be happier. Instant starting , brighter lights. I was afraid of the altenator idea because of the long over hung fan on the 32.
The case is the same as generator (an original generator is used). So, the bearing, front and end plate, etc. are the original parts. It is just the guts that are exchanged (and the cylinder part of the housing).
Old 07-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #10
Henry/Kokomo

Thanks to all for the info. Very much appreciated.