Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
Hot Rod Reverend

Default What are your thoughts on polishing stainless?

Some of you may have already seen this video of these nice OEM 1955/56 Ford rocker panel stainless trim pieces I acquired sometime ago. I have some good news on that front - Burton's Antiques in Dayton, Ohio (who is the only company I know of that is reproducing those trim pieces) just sold me the template I needed to drill the holes in the appropriate locations. I paid $20 for what looks to be a quality piece of steel that will put me in the right place when I install the clips.

https://vimeo.com/411735195

However, I do have an interesting story that is relative to the stainless trim. I walked into a metal polish/chrome shop and decided to see what the estimate would be to straighten and polish the stainless steel moldings in the video. The manager examines both pieces on this counter, then tells me, "I am going to have to get my brother to look at this, he polishes all the stainless at the shop here anyway."

No problem. A few minutes later, here comes the brother - he has the appearance of being in the middle of a polish job as his clothing and condition/removal of his thick leather gloves would prove. He too looks the pieces over but in much more detail, running his fingers over every ding, etc. Then he announces, "Ah, they ain't in all that bad a shape; shouldn't take anymore than 2 hours each to get them where they need to be."

Manager: "You sure about that?"
Polisher: "Yep, look at them - these things will straighten up just fine." (he flips them over for the manager to look at again.) "Not much to it..."

The manager and the polisher disagree right in front of me as they discuss a few things further.

The polisher leaves and the manager looks at me and says, "Ok, we charge $60 an hour for labor," and proceeds to take out his work order pad. "But, these things are going to take 5 hours."

After all this, I briefly explain how the car is a driver, if these were show pieces I would gladly spend that much, etc.

I left the shop reminding myself why so many of us DIY on certain items like these. Brightwork is expensive, I get it. Chrome is expensive enough, and if you work on stainless there are dings that need to be straightened and then the polishing, etc. What got me in all this was the discussion in front of me between the man who was trusted to know his stuff and then the manager who decided to high-ball it on me for an estimate.

I wonder how many of you on the forum polish your own stainless or how many of you send it out to a shop? I would assume that $60 a rate is about average?