Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Drew

Default 1932 Model B Wiring

Can someone please tell me the correct routing of the brake light switch wiring. Are there any points of attachment, and clips/clamps used. A picture would very helpful as well. I know coming out of the steering column switch to the left frame rail but from there to the switch I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance!
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 Model B Wiring

Drew,

The photo below on the left shows the B-9294 clip used to retain the brake light switch wires to the left leg of the K-member and the photo in the center shows the hole in that leg where the clip is bolted to the leg (about half way along the bottom flange). From there it is routed immediately below the pedal bracket and then upward to the brake light switch on the transmission shift lever housing.

On the handful of super-early frames that have no legs on the center cross member, the wire just hung in the air between the light switch housing and the pedals before being routed upward to the brake light switch on the transmission shift lever housing. On very early frames with early K-member legs, there was no hole in the lower flange of the left leg for a B-9294, but likely a spring clip such as B-14585, shown in the photo on the right, was used to retain the wires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 508-1.jpg (59.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg misc. 086.jpg (41.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 508-2.jpg (48.5 KB, 21 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Drew

Thanks David, your help is always appreciated! My frame has the hole, wasn't sure what is was for, now I know. Any idea where I might find one of the B-9294 clamps, or a drawing so I could make one.

Thanks again!
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
DavidG

Drew,

You're welcome!

I'm away from my stuff for the rest of winter, but perhaps someone can provide you with a tracing. It should be relatively easy to fabricate. At least in the past, Mike McKennett of Portland, OR, offered this clip for use with his super fuel/air line reproductions (as the same clip was used just behind the center cross member to secure the fuel/air line to the chassis frame at that point on V-8 chassis).

Dave
Old 03-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
jim1932

Dave,

Is mine going the correct route? This is the old wiring (which was partially cobbed up). I strung the new one the same way. I know I need the correct washer and spring as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring.jpg (105.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
DavidG

Jim,

In your photo it appears that the wiring to the brake lamp switch is routed through the left leg of the 'K' whereas originally it was routed in front of that leg down on the flange of the leg and secured there with the B-9294 clip. Further, the wiring should fit down below the lip of the brake/clutch pedal bracket to avoid any contact with the pedals when they are depressed.