Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #21
G.M.

Default Re: powermaster alt

I took a few pictures of the 6 volt alternator on my 39 covertible sedan and the spare back cover with the diodes and voltage regulator. The back cover plugs into the windings and brushes of the 12 volt alternator. The diodes rectify the AC output and the voltage regulator regulates it to the 8 volt range max and is adjusted through the small hole in the rear cover at about 5 o'clock. I adjust them to 7.5 - 7.6 I built 7 alternators and 2 spare rear covers and this is one of them I carry as a spare but haven't needed them yet. The inside of the generator shell has to have 4 slots milled for the 4 ears on the alternator to slip into. These hold the altermator from turning and the shaft extention holds alternatator from moving forward or backward in the original Ford front bracket. The fan in the alternator blows the air forward and the original fan on the Ford pulley also pulls the air forward. This isn't backwards that how the air is moved opposite to what you would think. These run cool but I don't remember the temp under 150 if I recall. Drove it last year in 100 plus temperatures for 2 12 hour days at 65 to 70 MPH for 600 miles each day and the return trip in a little cooler temps with no problems. I noticed in the engine picture you can see the little tube with a cap. This was the engine that the block oil passage to lubricate the water pump was never drilled on the drivers side. No problem for 18 or 20 years but found it when I was installing Skips pumps. We drilled the pump and put an oiler tube in similar to the early 49s. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0149.jpg (67.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0150.jpg (48.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0151.jpg (43.5 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by G.M.; 09-26-2011 at 08:18 PM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #22
42guy

I have had an alternator (6 volt) from Certified running for around 6 years. After I had it about 2 years the voltage dropped to about 6-6.25 volt output. I called them up about checking it for me and they repaired and sent it back at no charge. Great people to deal with, at least with me.
42guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #23
47 flatbed

I hope so I just picked up thier bracket and alt and the gd holes for the fan bracket was not even close more than an 1/8 on each bolt too close together. The saga of not being able to drive my truck continues. About ready to sell.
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #24
47 flatbed

GM is there any way to build this for 12v
Old 09-27-2011, 05:08 AM   #25
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 flatbed View Post
I hope so I just picked up thier bracket and alt and the gd holes for the fan bracket was not even close more than an 1/8 on each bolt too close together. The saga of not being able to drive my truck continues. About ready to sell.
Were you able to get a brackett that had better fit? I'm ordering mine so it would be great to know how you make out.

Hang in ther 47flatbed, you will be drivin soon
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #26
G.M.

47 the people that make the voltage regulator also make them in 12 volts. The diodes or bridge rectifiers are made for NEG ground and I had to do some insulating to change them to POS ground so the 12 volts would be easier as far as mounting the diodes. This isn't an easy project. On second thought the fixed regulator and the diodes in the nippo alternator along with the brushes are mounted in or on the rear of the stock alternator and may fit in the Ford case since the parts won't be mounted on the gear cover. G.M.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #27
1950FordF-1

Hey guys, my name is Brady I have a '50 Ford pickup project I'm working on. I actually work for Powermaster, and there are a couple of things worth noting. We are under different ownership as of July 2010. So the people you deal with, or have dealt with are likely no longer involved. Also, as far as the Powergen, we have had some things out there that we did not produce. If you got one in a plain white box, it's not one of ours. ALL Powermaster products are now manufactured in West Chicago, Illinois by people who have been doing it since 1981. If anyone is ever in the area please feel free to stop by and check out the plant. And if anyone needs anything, please let me know at [email protected] or at 630-849-7754

I understand it's hard to regain lost trust, but we're really just car people making the best product we can, and we very sincerely want to help out when there's a problem.
1950FordF-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #28
CP

when i bought my cay, it had a gm alternator on it. it always had a problem with triggering (2-wire). i bought three "new" alternators before i could get to trigger until i realized that the pully was so big it needed a "significant throttle" to trigger. anyway, i felt the last thing you wanted to do from a cold start was rev the engine to get the charge going. it was a bit annoying. i bought a powergen from h&h about 3 years ago. i love it. its a 2 wire and triggers as soon as i start the car at idle. i would not change it for anything. ive run it for two summers now and it sat for a year before i installed it. 4 trips of 300 miles with only stopping for fuel. Im happy with it. the only thing i didnt like is you pay 3 or 4 hundred and the case screw is steel and rusted before i ever installed it. i told h&h (not that its their fault) that it should come with a s.s. set screw. the other thing was that the pully nut was long and hit my fan. I had to have the nut machined down so i have about an 1/8" clearance from the fan. Thants my 2 cents. cp
CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #29
Ken Crans

Thanks for the info on the Powermaster... I was just going to order one. I want to run 6volt positive ground with the high amp alternator . Who is this Ed Whitney guy? Some one that will take your original and retro fit for an alternator.? Never really thought about the cooling but it does make sense. I got all the grounds clean, but i want that faster turn of the starter . Thanks Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #30
wga

I have an Ed Whitney on my '49. Looks like a stock gen. I have wires running to a
empty voltage regulator just to keep the stock look. The car is very original. On one of my trips to southern Cal, I dropped off an old 6V gen and Ed used the front and back pieces. He makes the housing form aluminum tube that he machines in the stock cooling slots, adds the wire studs, does a nice satin black powder coat on it. Ed has been involved with V8's since Henry was an apprentice. Nice craftsmanship, works fine for the past 3 years / 4000 + miles.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #31
47 flatbed

We'll 50 ford f1 you are right that its hard to regain lost trust I just wanted a new one or at least fixed and mine wasn't in a white box I still have all my boxes from this project, they hold the factory part they replaced, water pumps genterator strarter ect. Summit didnt want to help nor did powermaster. Extremely frustrating, and I would consider myself a patient person, especially when I was willing to pay more than twice the gm style was just to get a look of factory.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #32
47 flatbed

As for certified. Simply awesome. Got couple 100 miles on it this week in between rain here in Ohio. From what Jeff told me there is a couple diffent fan hubs for the 42-48. I would deffinatley mesure bolt distance apart (it's only about an 1/8 to 3/16 difference in spacing)and let him know for ordering he knows what you would be talking about. Nice people
Old 09-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #33
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 flatbed View Post
As for certified. Simply awesome. Got couple 100 miles on it this week in between rain here in Ohio. From what Jeff told me there is a couple diffent fan hubs for the 42-48. I would deffinatley mesure bolt distance apart (it's only about an 1/8 to 3/16 difference in spacing)and let him know for ordering he knows what you would be talking about. Nice people
Good to hear about it 47, I figured there were two/three different alt bracketts on the site. I spoke with Jeff as well, they know their business
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #34
47 flatbed

Cool part for me is that the customer we were working fo that week was only 2 miles down the road from them.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #35
1950FordF-1

I understand the feelings. We really do want to help, just e-mail me. Don't go back to the point of purchase, come directly to me.
1950FordF-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #36
d.conrad

I have a Powermaster alt. on one car for 12 years and 25000 miles and no problem. I got one for another and after it sat on the shelf for about 2 years I put it on and 3500 miles later it failed. I was way overcharging. I called them and they said it was probably the regulator gone bad. Send it in. They fixed it and charged me $57.00. The guy said that electrical parts go bad just sitting on the shelf. They aren't as good as they say. Buy another brand, NOT POWERMASTER!!!
d.conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #37
aussiesteve

They are junk.
Do a search on the HAMB for my experiences.
Went back to a 12v Ford generator and no more problems.
aussiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #38
Chris Nelson

I had an alternator for sale on this site a while back. It is a 48 generator with a Mitsubishi alternator stuffed inside. Works great. The only reason I took it off was the charging was falling off. Turns out it was the 6 year old battery that was at fault, not the alternator. Too late as I had put a new GM alternator on the engine and had the same problem. I guess I'll keep the alternator as a spare. My alternator was converted by a guy in Auburn, WA., but I understood that he sold his business to someone back in the Mid West. The Mitsubishi is not a high output wattage, but for my useage, it is plenty of power. It is probably about 65 Watts and services what I have.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #39
47 flatbed

Funny just put that power master back on truck that certified rebuilt. The gm alt bit it this afternoon. Good thing for spare parts
Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #40
BILL WZOREK

Does any one have the correct contact info for Ed Whitney?
My eMails have gone to Computer HE** or some thing.

THANKS
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote