Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2020, 06:22 PM   #22
GB SISSON

Default Re: '40 front fenders

This one is going slower than the last couple of projects... Winter's coming on and every year the unheated shop looks less inviting. I finally got my jailbars and other front end pieces straightened out, well they aren't actually 'straight' , but they ARE on there. Now I am in the decision process and those tough decisions often slow me down. "What if it doesn't work and I cut up a good part for nothing?". Well today I have made a decision. Look at the firewall of the ford cowl. You will see a boxed in rectangle 36" wide and 17 3/4" high. I will cut that out of the ford cowl and replace it with a 36" 17 3/4" piece from the toyota firewall. This gives me a 3 1/2" deep doghouse, ready mounts for parking brake (Toyota landcruisers use an internal expanding drum brake aft of the transfer case), the correct steering coulmn support, and the gas pedal. Instead of welding this patch in I'm thinking of welding a 3/4" angle to the perimeter and bolting it to the existing ford firewall flange. This way if I later want to mount a pickup cab on it (I have 3), I just cut out that same area and the frame mounts are the same, and bolt my flanged sub-firewall in. Another benefit is the tranny/transfer cover you see in the first photo bolts right on. Still thinking of breaking the bank and buying a pedal assembly from wilwood which solves so many clearance problems. I am about ready to remove the front clip now that I have solved the clearance and mounting issues there, and get the steering hooked up and all the mechancal stuff that is SOOO accessible with those big fenders off. I think this is going to work. I painted the front bib with some international tractor blue from ace hardware with a bit of green splashed in, some black and gray primer, flatting past and about a 1/2 cup of cornstarch to further remove the gloss. Applied with a foam brush. Trim is called 'straw' in a satin finish rattle can. Edit: I have also decided to use the toyota radiator. Trimming 1/4" off each side of the mounting flange and redrilling it mounts it in the stock support with both hose connections on the correct side and I know it is engineered correctly to cool this particular engine, and the ford radiator support does a great job of holding the front clip together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foyota 1.JPG (136.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg foyota 2.JPG (116.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg foyota 8.JPG (110.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg foyota 6.JPG (122.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg foyotra 4.JPG (105.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg foyota 5.JPG (94.9 KB, 49 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 11-15-2020 at 06:36 PM.
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)