Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2023, 08:17 PM   #1
Mshaynes21

Default Transmission

I am slowly learning about my Model T. I have noticed that when I depress the clutch to go into first gear the T tends to shudder almost like the band isn't quite engaging (like when you don't quite give it enough gas in a modern car) and then goes into low speed. Same with reverse. Does this mean I am not giving it enough gas or do I need to tighten the bands. I can pull down on the throttle and only get a a small amount of forward creep and that is when it is revved up pretty high so I think I have a pretty good neutral in the car when the hand brake is in the center position. Just don't want to overtighten the bands but I also don't know why I am not getting into low speed without the shudder. Thanks
Mshaynes21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:50 AM   #2
Dan McEachern

Default Re: Transmission

push the low pedal down hard- what happens then- you dont want to slip it- throttle,push pedal down, push pedal down more. take the trans cover off and check the lining- is it worn out ?
Dan McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 08:27 AM   #3
Mshaynes21

Is there a way to inspect the band linings without completely pulling the bands? I can see lining material underneath the bands themselves. Do I need to pull the bands out and inspect them as if I were going to change them out or is there another way to do that?
Old 06-17-2023, 08:29 AM   #4
Mshaynes21

I do tend to push down slowly on the pedals. Maybe I need to be more aggressive as well.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:31 PM   #5
A bones

Two things I would like you to realise. First The bands ( for the most part ) are woven material. They cannot survive sliding friction, heat build-up like modern clutch linings. Instead of "feathering" the bands think "clamp" them with a delibrate foot pressure.
On take off ( launch ) I "clamp" the slow pedal at the same time I open the gas valve fully. This gets it up to ten mph, whereupon I throw the stick into high, and release the slo pedal.
This advice comes from a mailman who ran a rural delivery route for decades and was able to make the bands last.
Second Slo gear need only be used to start the roll-out. As far as slowing and stopping, first close the gas valve. Using the brake pedal should be enough if you keep your focus as far ahead as possible. In a panic stop, it was said, many a year ago, "mash them all then pull the stick back"
I would consider this to be abuse, but crashin' sucks.
If you plan ahead you will be fine, at the speeds we reach.
If you are suspicious of the band condition ( do they feel grabby or noisy ) open the inspection cover to look for scoring on the drums whichever one you doubt perhaps pull the adjuster bolt to better view the drum.
One more old tip, If you have electric start and you plan on playing in the trans, before sliding any fingers in there. Disconnect the battery. That start button is too close for comfort
Old 06-18-2023, 10:28 PM   #6
Mshaynes21

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I get the hang of this. I have a feeling some of my problem is driving it wrong.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:35 AM   #7
Jamsonx
BANNED

Nice thread
Jamsonx is offline   Reply With Quote