Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default On the Road Again, (A true story)

So here is the ace mechanic driving off to assist a friend remove his differential and install a Mitchell Overdrive yesterday. It's a nice afternoon so I take the coupe out and as it is cold, I enriched things with the GAV. A tad down the road I give it a twist back to it's normal half turn out and drive on.

As I drive under HWY 680 into the turn lane to get on that freeway I have a bit of the whips and jingles. Engine eventually sputters and dies. I pull into the no parking at any time spot and do a quick visual. Dark under there and don't see a thing out of place. Get back in and the car starts right up and promptly starts to sputter and die. Gas? Plenty in tank, loosen the line at the carb and it's doing fine there.

Being no ones fool, I have AAA so I reach in my pocket, phone is at home with the AAA card. Nice kid stops and I leave a note and he takes me home. Get the card and phone and call AAA.

Back to the car, wife drops me off and a gentleman is walking by, stops comes back and asks a lot of questions about the car. He also wishes to take some pictures which is fine with me. I set out Two of my five flares and wait while my new friend snaps away.

AAA shows up and the driver gives me a questioning look and looks warily at my new friend. I tell him, "don't worry, he's not my attorney." He hears "This is my attorney so don't you mess up my million dollar car or you and your job are toast.

I have been towed before, but never seen a hookup that took so long to go four blocks and when he get's done he asks "my attorney" if it looks good to him and if so does he have the okay to take me home. He is totally covered in sweat even though it is but 60's out.

I explain again that he's not my attorney and you could just see the flush of relief flood into the drivers face. He told me he heard "attorney" and panic set in. We all had a laugh and I got home, went to my friends and pulled things apart on his car.

My problem was the choke and GAV connection had slipped apart and the choke would close when the engine ran and as soon as it died the butterfly would return to the open position. All better now.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
1930-Pickup

Default Re: On the Road Again, (A true story)

Too funny!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #3
Synchro909

These cars provided us with all kind of experiences. You just never know what or when.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #4
Brentwood Bob

All is well.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #5
7_Zero

That’s funny! Heck, if it gets you better service and prevents bent suspension parts from careless tie downs, it might be a good idea to have a passenger pose as your attorney every time you need a tow.
7_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
Ray in La Mesa

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
About the same thing happened to a friend's pickup on the way to a funeral. The nut on the arm connecting the choke rod to the butterfly shaft fell off going down the freeway,lost the arm and vacuum sucked the choke closed every time he tried to give it gas & we had about 15 minutes to get there. I carry wooden clothes pins on my inside gas line (because it's a convenient place only for such emergencies not to fix vapor lock) and put one on the threaded portion of the shaft. The weight of the pin held the choke open & we made the funeral on time. Got a few chuckles from the A guys but it worked!
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
old31

Rays last name must be Maguiver
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

Chuckle chuckle. That's a good story, and the first time I have heard of the GAV and choke acting this way.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
daveymc29

On mine the nut on the connecting arm was tight, the arm somehow got out of the grove on the driver. Pulling the choke, it felt stiff, but at my age stiff is so seldom that almost seemed something for nature to take dare of. It must have been riding on the top of one of the rings and when I turned it back it finally fell off and the suction pulled the choke shut. I even has stuck my finger in there to make sure the choke was open, but that was after the engine had died. I carry clothes pins to hold the choke out if I have to hand crank and am alone. Pull it out, snap a clothes pin on the shaft, in the cab, and pull the crank for a revolution or two (if cold engine) then turn the key on and a quarter pull up she'll be purring happily. Clothes pins make good tools to hold things when you don't have a magnet with you also.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #10
Clem Clement

I carry wooden clothes pins inall my cars. Good for hanging clothes out to dry; derattling my cars; insulating fuel lines; and the best use: the ladies always ask what the clothes pins are for...

Last edited by Clem Clement; 12-10-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote