Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Jack 34pu

Default Unusual metal carb float fix.

My son is restoring a Cub Cadet and had carb troubles that sounded similar to Stromberg problems. It was always flooding - even worse when stopped. I checked it out carefully but found nothing out of place or adjustment. It seemed that the needle valve was not stopping the flow of gas , yet with it disassembled, the float worked wonderfully when I blew in the inlet and raised the float. It shut off the supply easily.

In frustration, I started to disassemble the carb one more time. The float seemed heaver than it should. I shook it near my ear and sure enough, there was a liquid sloshing around inside. I wipped it clean and no wet spots appeared. How could that be? Gas always seeps through even the smallest pinhole. How could gas get inside a sealed metal float?

I took the float home and got an idea. Heat the float and see what happens. I took a small heat gun (hairdryer would probably work) and heated the float while rotating from side to side. This is somewhat dangerous so be outside and wear face protection. All at once gas started spraying out like a shower head! Four small pin holes that where not detectable otherwise sprayed the offending liquid out until it was dry.

The float was too heavy with the liquid inside and would not quite shut off the fuel supply. Check out your Stromberg floats - you might be surprized as I was and solve a longstanding problem that was not visible to the naked eye. A little cleaning and solder and you will be back in business.
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Unusual metal carb float fix.

As I have found this exact condition on occasion, I have made it a habit to place a float under water for a day or two prior to using it. I simply put it in a bowl with a small plate over it to keep it submerged.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
G.M.

I had a sunken float on the way to a car show 35 miles away. I pulled the top off the Stromberg and removed the float. It was spraying gas but stopped as it cooled down. I held the float behind the exhaust pipe of a modern car with a pair of pliers. All the gas came out and I bent the tap that operates the needle valve and put the float in upside down and it ran normal. I drove about a week and thought I better fix it before I forget. This was a number of years ago and I posted it on here at that time. G.M.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Ronnie

Submerge it under boiling water will do same thing with no fire hazard.

Re solder with iron and be done.

Ronnie
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

Not boiling but hot. As boiling water creates its own bubbles and its too confusing to find a leak on the float. Care ful how much solder you use as it makes the float heavier. Very difficult to patch a leak near the seam of the float. Pin hole or holes away from the seam are much easier to fix.ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
richard crow

fuel tank float get the same proulbem. any mech worth his salt will always shake a float by his ear when working on eather one. unless it,s a duesenberg always change the float. if it has holes & you soder it will onley get holes eleswear as the metal is compamized.floats are cheap road towing is not.
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
19Fordy

Same thing can happen to a gas tank sending unit float.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote