Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #21
gavin m

Default Re: Tops speed for late 30s trucks?

Ok. Here is what my truck will do.
32 pick up
33 pump in head motor 0.80' over with Eddie Meyer heads and inlet. Around 7:1 CR.
Stock 33 trans
33 rear end with 4.11 gears and 7.50 tyres.

'comfortable' freeway speed = 55-60mph. Any more feels like I'm over working the motor.
1/4 mile in full street trim = 17.8 secs @ 78mph.
1/4 mile stripped down = 16.3 secs @ 82mph.
Flying kilometre top speed run = 83mph.

Very happy with how she performs but do wish I had an overdrive sometimes on the freeway!
gavin m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #22
PhoenixFear

Just curious, but what kind of specs are people running? Engine, transmission, stock suspension or modified, stock hydraulic drums all around or discs? Also, what type of rims and tires; wire rims with tube tires or radials?
Reason I ask is because my '33 has hydraulic drums all around, a '53 engine, stock transmission and stock leaf springs. Stock 17" wire rims. I'm nowhere near close to driving it but I'm wondering if I can even take this thing on the highway or if I'll need a good amount of upgrades to do it. I don't know what rear ratio it has. Thanks.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #23
columbiA

I used to have a 33 coupe with a 59A flathead & Columbia rear end with 4.11 gears.With the O D ratio of 2.94 ,I would cruise at 60 mph with same rpm as 43 in 3rd gear.It would have gone much faster but I am more interested in a quieter cruising speed.After selling the car I modified the Columbia to fit my model "A" & it will cruise at 60 as well.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #24
Fibber Mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFear View Post
Just curious, but what kind of specs are people running? Engine, transmission, stock suspension or modified, stock hydraulic drums all around or discs? Also, what type of rims and tires; wire rims with tube tires or radials?
Reason I ask is because my '33 has hydraulic drums all around, a '53 engine, stock transmission and stock leaf springs. Stock 17" wire rims. I'm nowhere near close to driving it but I'm wondering if I can even take this thing on the highway or if I'll need a good amount of upgrades to do it. I don't know what rear ratio it has. Thanks.
I think its going to be all about the rearend. Jack it up and count wheel revoltions compared to drive shaft ,that will give you an approximate ratio but I think with 17s and a 53 engine you should be able to at least run fast enough to get on the highway, you might get your doors blown off but you'll get used to it.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #25
PhoenixFear

I'm debating changing to smoothie rims and radial tires and perhaps upgrade the brakes. I really don't want to but in order to go anywhere I have to use freeways. I'm also not sure what kind of speed rating tubed tires have, if at all.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
FL&WVMIKE

I can remember, back before these old trucks became collectible, I always dreaded getting behind any old pick-up on our curvy, mountain roads in West Virginia. You would, usually, be stuck, until you got to the rare spot, to where you could safely pass.
I bet that Ole Shadetree remembers that too !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote