Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #41
Old Henry

Default Re: M.Kube,Charlie,NY,52Henry

I like to use my car as a time machine to take me back to 1947 every time I get in it and it usually works pretty good as long as I keep it totally authentic original and know that it is. That way I get the exact experience driving it now that I would get driving it then. So, I avoid having anything on the car or in the car that would "destroy the illusion" for me and I've found that almost any intrusion that's not authentic will do that. It's like the scene from the movie "Somewhere In Time" where Christopher Reeves has so authentically reproduced his life as it would have been in a former time that he actually traveled back in time to that time that he recreated. It was all going so well until he pulled a penny out of his vest pocket from his future time. That was it. The end of his illusion that he was never able to get back. That's part of the reason I try so hard for authenticity. The other motive was just to see how close I could get for judging - a kind of "Mr. Everest" attempt for me. Now that I've done that I've relaxed a little on the smallest minute details but still must preserve my "illusion" for pleasure driving.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #42
ford38v8

Henry, you hit the nail on the head. The guys who need radial tires and modern radios should read you post again. And the judging thing also. My car will never be judged, as it's not going to be restored in my lifetime, but I can count on one hand the incorrect items other than cosmetics, and it's certainly more authentic than the Fords of my youth!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #43
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

I have an original '39 Standard coupe - came from Minnesota.
Chassis number indicates it was assembled in the 3rd week of '39 production - Oct 1938. The firewall is a stamping carried over from 1938 with a swage in it, so the wiring loom cover is unable to be attached flush because of that swage, consequently it does not have one.
Wonder what the Judges would make of that.
Chris.NZ.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #44
DavidG

With respect, that date is when the engine was built, not when it was assembled into a chassis. That mating could be weeks or even months later, depending on inventory levels and shipping distances from a single engine manufacturing source (Dearborn in your example).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #45
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Henry, you hit the nail on the head. The guys who need radial tires and modern radios should read your post again.
Yeah, if you haven't done the "Bias Ply Boogie" you haven't driven before 1960. It's part of the total authentic experience that "takes you back." Regarding modern radios - my favorite "unwind" each night is to take a cruise in "Old Henry" with my little Chihuahua "Pepe" and listen to the AM radio station that plays old radio shows from the 30's and 40's for 30-60 minutes. And have the signal fade in and out and a little "crackle" static now and then. Now, that's really "going back." You just can't get back any other way.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #46
ford38v8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Henry, the old car radio is the catalist that makes the whole experience come alive. You can tune the hum out of the radio, listening to oldies, and thinking that at any minute you might here the news of the attack on Hawaii.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #47
Vic Piano

Quote:
Henry, the old car radio is the catalist that makes the whole experience come alive. You can tune the hum out of the radio, listening to oldies, and thinking that at any minute you might here the news of the attack on Hawaii.
Alan, wouldn't it be Korea on the radio... remember, he's driving a Post WWII car... How's this for nostalgia?

I found this placard in the storage area underneath the back seat in our '39 LC. Turns out, the original owner was an Air Raid Warden on the East end of Long Island, following the attack on Perl Harbor. Back to the Future
Old 03-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #48
ford38v8

Vic, let's see now... "Old soldiers never die..."
Old 03-26-2012, 05:16 AM   #49
Kerk

All this hasd done will get me to look at my collection of carbs and try to see what I have. I know I have a 91-99 that was sent to me by a friend that was rebuilt not long ago.
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #50
ken ct
BANNED

Well at least it accomplished something Kerk,lol ken ct. [More confusion]
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #51
Vic Piano

Quote:
Vic, let's see now... "Old soldiers never die..."

That quote was from General MacArthur's farewell speech to Congress, after he was relived from duty by President Truman in 1951, during the Korean conflict, a more appropriate reference for a “time traveler” in a ’47 Ford.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #52
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
All this hasd done will get me to look at my collection of carbs and try to see what I have. I know I have a 91-99 that was sent to me by a friend that was rebuilt not long ago.
Kerk, these posts have convinced me that those who THOUGHT they knew all there was to know about the supposedly correct carburetor(s) used in production for these year early Fords actually didn't quite know all they were professing to know to begin with. It also puts more doubt in my mind that those who may be judging these vehicles for concourse correctness do not have the knowledge to correctly judge these vehicles as far as which carburetor is 100% correct for each vehicle model and year of manufacture in question here. It also convinces me that the books already written and possibly those that are in the process of being written are not or may not be correct regarding this subject. Therefore, I totally agree with Vic Piano....and that is...put the carburetor that you prefer to have on your vehicle (hopefully that's the one that gives the best performance) and drive that vehicle for your own enjoyment and never mind what the judges or self proclaimed experts say about what's correct and what's not....N E X T

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #53
ken ct
BANNED

Everybodys entitled to their own opinion even you. After 50 some posts nobody is in agreement,judges have been wrong,books have been wrong,and people have been wrong,The customer gets what he asks for that way im not resonsible for his mistake. ken ct.Hes supposed to know whats right for his car.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #54
37 Coupe

Well painted carburetors are not correct either but you do that don't you? At least you did to a NOS one I sent you a few years back when I didn't know any better.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #55
Vic Piano

Ken, would you agree that your summation of the situation lends credence to my aforementioned position with respect to judging in general? Unfortunately, there are few, if any, people alive today that had first hand experience with the vehicles that we are interested in. To further the point, as has been noted, even some of the books and reference material (published by FoMoCo as well as others) are at best contradictory in many areas, making it virtually impossible for anyone to make the blanket statement that a particular part, etc. was/is the only correct piece on a particular vehicle. Vic
Old 03-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #56
ford38v8

John, There is no disagreement on the judging field. None with the club books either. There is only confusion by individuals and among those who would wish their own carburetor to be accepted without point deduction. Those who wish certainty for correctness without point deduction should re-read post # 20. Others can just install the carb that works for you!

Ken, considering that this thread has gone so far off subject, your 50+ post statement is meaningless. To place the onus on the customer with your carburetor sales is a good decision in any case, and should be adhered to by other vendors as well. Nobody should have to rely on a salesman regarding correctness, nor should that salesman be put in that position. You continue to sell carburetors, and warranty function not correctness, and you'll sleep better.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #57
ken ct
BANNED

I agree with you and Vic,too many parts have been changed around on these things over the yrs and a lot is lost in the translation over the yrs.Too many opinions in the pot spoil the soup.ken ct. Im done with it. ken ct. "kens ford carburetors"
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #58
TomO

My guess for the longest run of a part is the fly wheel ring gear. It was used from 32-48 without a change.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #59
ford38v8

My guess, Most common and longest running.....
72000 series, cotter pins ranging from 1/16" x 3/8" to 5/32" x 1 3/4" Model T?........... till ?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #60
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
Well painted carburetors are not correct either but you do that don't you? At least you did to a NOS one I sent you a few years back when I didn't know any better.
If i didn't clear coat them,people like you would leave there finger prints all over the bare porous pot metal,would you rather have a rebuilt with finger prints all over it or one W/O ken ct.