Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #21
39portlander

Default Re: M.Kube,Charlie,NY,52Henry

Interesting thread and reply's, similar to what I was dealing with cab wood on my 39 P/U. I had to order 38 cab wood, seems Ford used up what they had and then changed thing's again

What is the longest year span Ford ever kept a part or design with out changeing it again year to year I'm learning why alot of these Ford guy's have no hair.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #22
ken ct
BANNED

Your theory seems to hold some water 38,i know there seems to be many more CG that are blank on the drivers side than 91-99's CG.Im going to go with the "what ever the customer wants he gets" deal,that way it takes the mistake out of my hands when he makes the choice.Thanks for your opinion 38. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #23
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
Interesting thread and reply's, similar to what I was dealing with cab wood on my 39 P/U. I had to order 38 cab wood, seems Ford used up what they had and then changed thing's again

What is the longest year span Ford ever kept a part or design with out changeing it again year to year I'm learning why alot of these Ford guy's have no hair.
Dont know on that Fuel Pumps from late 36 to 40 did not change,thats a 4 1/2 yr run w/o a change,maybe those would be in the running? lol ken ct. And for such a long run WHY are these so hard to find???
Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #24
turnpikecrusier

My 36 UTE has a Chandler Grove on it,is it not correct?
turnpikecrusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #25
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnpikecrusier View Post
My 36 UTE has a Chandler Grove on it,is it not correct?
I would say not correct,in my opinion should be a #48 or #97 strom. Most likely a 97. ken ct. or as was an option in 36 an 81 strom. at least in the states.

Last edited by ken ct; 03-23-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #26
1952henry

Slightly off-topic but I acquired a Chandler-Groves carburetor for a Lincoln. It had Chandler Groves, 91-99, and on the back LZ. I restored it, then put it on the LZOC site, and it went to England!

Here 'tis, sans the base:

Here 'tis, fresh from ebay:

Last edited by 1952henry; 03-23-2012 at 10:35 AM.
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #27
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

"However, there is no indication as to who built the 91-99's"
I think all of these things in my pile of parts have the builder designation on the right side of the main bowl /body casting near the bottom of the accel pump...H for Holley, F (usually in script) for the minority built by Ford.
I also have 3 CG carbs, provenance and exact age unknown...2 are Holley built, one is Ford built.
I think that all of the top and bowl castings except 59 type passed out of the parts supply quickly, as Ford simply substituted the later versions culminating with the 59. The CG types had minor metering differences in the bleed holes on nozzle bars, at least, on the others I think just about all the change was in bowl vent locations and none of the changes precluded use on the older models as replacement parts.
Most of these carbs have passed through the hands of commercial rebuilders during their lives, and were rebuilt in huge batches with all the parts reassembled in random combinations, so a high percentage of core carbs are not really representative of anything in particular.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #28
Vic Piano

So, in conclusion, one can surmise (based on the information herein) that, at best, the evidence is inconclusive with respect to exactly identifying the correct (if that is even a proper term to use in this situation) factory installed carburetor for late production '38 as well as most production '39's. Additionally, as noted, most carburetors in question (over the last 70+ years) have been rebuilt at least once and could have possibly (most likely) been rebuilt using myriad components that were/are interchangeable with several types of carburetors used in Ford production at that time. If, in fact, this preponderance of evidence holds true, does that negate the loss of points in judging, relevant to the question of correctness with respect to the carburetor? Just curious…
Old 03-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #29
DavidG

39portlander,

In response to your earlier question, three candidates come to mind, both of 17 years of use (1932-48) without change, namely the front wheel bearings, V-8 starter motors and universal joints.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #30
DavidG

Wheel lug nuts would be another candidate.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #31
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Judging is based on what the factory was supposed to have used the day the car was assembled...though that may be hard to figure out. Problems that have accumulated since that day, including Ford replacemant parts, do not affect what judging involves! There are probably a lot of legitimate variants of parts reaching assembly plants a bit earlier or later than judging standards, but judging would still be based on what the judging book says!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #32
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
Judging is based on what the factory was supposed to have used the day the car was assembled...though that may be hard to figure out. Problems that have accumulated since that day, including Ford replacemant parts, do not affect what judging involves! There are probably a lot of legitimate variants of parts reaching assembly plants a bit earlier or later than judging standards, but judging would still be based on what the judging book says!
My point exactly! Even with little or no factual proof, the judging criteria will penalize a participant if his vehicle does not conform to their standards (right or wrong)... In my opinion, that practice severely diminishes the value of judging for correctness...
Old 03-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #33
1942deluxe

91A 2106 retainer for the rubber brake lines would be my guess as the longest
used part number.The prefix indicates 1939(hydraulic brakes first year) and is
still a good number from Ford!Kind of a horse shoe clip.The B7A 2457 A brake
pad(1957) was used up until recently.Now when you look up a part you need
the VIN number because of the frequency of changes.......
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #34
ken ct
BANNED

And when you get down to the nitty gritty its all up to the Judge. And who wrote up the judgeing standards ,people like you and me. ken ct.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #35
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post
91A 2106 retainer for the rubber brake lines would be my guess as the longest
used part number.The prefix indicates 1939(hydraulic brakes first year) and is
still a good number from Ford!Kind of a horse shoe clip.The B7A 2457 A brake
pad(1957) was used up until recently.Now when you look up a part you need
the VIN number because of the frequency of changes.......
The FL1A oil filter and the 9 inch rear end?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #36
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
Ken,
What the hell happened to Mike Kubarths' reply....it was there this
morning........................................was n't it ?
Charlie ny
PS
By the way the '52 Olds Rochester 4 brl carb on my stroker Flathead
appears to be exactly the correct carb for my '41 1/2 ton
Looks like he bailed out on you Charlie. It's called edit/delete/cut and run, etc. Some guys do this when they realize they have posted something that could be construed as incorrect or maybe they can't take the heat of the information posted by others who may have better information to present. JMHO

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #37
Vic Piano

John, as we all know, anyone that represents themselves, to be the indisputable expert on any subject, is only subjecting themselves to scrutiny from those that may question the validity of their alleged expertise. It’s when they claim to have garnered the (so called irrefutable knowledge and information) through years of exhaustive research, but repeatedly decline request from questioners to present the sources of that research (for verification). That simply serves to further diminish the validity of their previous statements, which they ascertain to be factual beyond any doubt. In my opinion, those individuals are engaging in a game of self-aggrandizement that ultimately results to their own detriment.
This pastime we take part in is supposed to be a hobby, which by definition is; an activity or interest perused and engaged in primarily for pleasure. My take on that is to not take these things (judging and correctness of parts, etc.) too seriously. Right or wrong, as Henry built it or otherwise, I enjoy driving our cars and hold no rancor for those that would rather restore a vehicle to a level far beyond what any production car of the era could have or would have achieved. I enjoy looking at those vehicles as well, and fully appreciate the amount of work and dedication that went into creating it. The question of the correctness of a carburetor or most any other part on the vehicle never comes to mind.

I think I'll go out for a drive... Vic
Old 03-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #38
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
There are many mistakes in the green bible . . . I guess its up to the judges frame of mind and their not always right either.
Even though the "Green Bible" may not always be accurate, it is documentation. I actually used it to avoid a loss of points in judging my car at the EFV8 Western National Meet when the judges said my front spring should have a cover like the back one. I showed them my "Bible" that had no parts listing for such a cover on the front spring of my car. What could they do? They had no choice. They could hardly argue with the green bible. That had to leave me the points.

So, right or wrong, the green bible is still great documentation to support your position at judging time.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #39
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
John, as we all know, anyone that represents themselves, to be the indisputable expert on any subject, is only subjecting themselves to scrutiny from those that may question the validity of their alleged expertise. It’s when they claim to have garnered the (so called irrefutable knowledge and information) through years of exhaustive research, but repeatedly decline request from questioners to present the sources of that research (for verification). That simply serves to further diminish the validity of their previous statements, which they ascertain to be factual beyond any doubt. In my opinion, those individuals are engaging in a game of self-aggrandizement that ultimately results to their own detriment.
This pastime we take part in is supposed to be a hobby, which by definition is; an activity or interest perused and engaged in primarily for pleasure. My take on that is to not take these things (judging and correctness of parts, etc.) too seriously. Right or wrong, as Henry built it or otherwise, I enjoy driving our cars and hold no rancor for those that would rather restore a vehicle to a level far beyond what any production car of the era could have or would have achieved. I enjoy looking at those vehicles as well, and fully appreciate the amount of work and dedication that went into creating it. The question of the correctness of a carburetor or most any other part on the vehicle never comes to mind.

I think I'll go out for a drive... Vic
Vic, all good points and well said.

As for taking a drive....I can honestly say whenever I am driving or riding in an early Ford Flathead powered V8 I am totally in my glory. Not too many other things I do or have done can compare.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #40
G.M.

John talking about glory you have to tell Vic about my duals. G.M.