Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Jimbo

Default Need brake line help

Putting disc brakes on front of 50 F-1. I got master cylinder ,propotioning valve, and 2 residual valves 2 and 10 psi. Now to my question, The proportioning valve has 2 out ports for front brake lines so do I need 2 residual valves for the front or do I plug off 1 of the out ports , use one residual valve and then T to both front brakes? Probably A dumb question but dad always said the only dumb questions were the ones I asked. Jim
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
V8 Bob

Default Re: Need brake line help

Stand-a-lone proportioning valves have NO outlets to the fronts, so it sounds like you have a d_ _m combo valve. Pitch it and get an adjustable prop valve, which goes to the rears only. You really should know what you are trying to plumb into your brake system.
IF the master is below the calipers, run one 2 lb residual to both, and a 10 lb’er to the rear drums, requardless of master location.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
DICK SPADARO

Default Re: Need brake line help

I think what you are calling a proportioning valve is a brass block that should be considered as a pressure equalizer. This is used in brake systems to allow even pressure balance in the split lines usually used in the front to prevent one wheel from braking before the other. Your feed line should come in and then the l/r lines should split from the ports. The 2 lb line valves goes between the master cylinder and this block on the front lines, the 10 lb valve goes in the rear line. Make sure you have the valves in the correct direction of flow.